PSU works, but casefans will not power up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddington

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Fresh system. Just put together Wendesday.

As the title states, I am currently running a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply.
Ran into an issue after two days of use. It decided to shut off and not turn back on. Just last night I tried the paperclip test, the fan spins fine when I flip the switch so I thought, hey, maybe its not dead? I plugged in only the essentials: motherboard, CPU, graphics card, boot drive and all necessary peripherals. It runs. And its still running. But anything else (fans, my SRT set up) will not turn on. (CPU fan just twitches for a split second)
I've already issued an RMA with Newegg but I'm a little confused to why my case fans wont spin. (I've already tried another PSU and everything works fine, including case fans)

Stock System:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series x2 4GB (Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155
EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1024MB GB DDR5
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
32GB Adata SSD
1TB Western Digital ATA
300GB Seagate ATA

Any ideas why everything works but when I try connecting any more fans it wont turn on?

Thanks for reading! :cry:

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
That should not be stressing your system at all, the power draw from the wall should be 250W max. (I measured my build with a stealthxstream 600W, i5 2500k, and GTX 460, and it came in at 278W when running furmark)

Are the fans connected to the motherboard or directly with Molex connectors? Try getting the fans started with your finger and see if they then spin up.

puddington

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
My girlfriend is rocking last years OCZ 700W and its doing just fine. I think i just got unlucky. True this IS my first OCZ brand, I usually go with Antec but this is my first new generation PSU since like... 3 years ago.

120mm.jpg

Well I connect all my molex fans like how i do any other :??:
Tried piggy backing them and connecting them individually. The 200mm top fan will sometimes run but any more than that, PC wont post.

The one fan I have that has a "system fan" connector works
currently have Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
3 x 120mm fans with 3-speed switch controls
1 x 200mm top fan
All molex connectors.

I cannot spin the fans with my fingers because it wont boot at all :kaola:
Maybe I worded my issue incorrectly... If I connect all my fans, my computer wont start at all. Nothing. Nada.
If I unplug all my "molex" fans and leave my cpu, motherboard, hard drive and graphics card in, system will post.

Thanks again for your input!

puddington

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Just closing off the thread now (mods youre welcome to :kaola: !)

For some reason PSU started to work again.
Not gonna buy a multimeter, already have this one RMA'd! Don't know anything about 12v, is that regarding the rails of the PSU?
I started connecting my molex fans and everything is running fine now.
except my bootdrive, which has taken a hit and chkdsk keeps running everytime I boot. Now windows is all screwy. (gonna try using the windows CD to repair, if not then formatting and finally setting up intel's SRT)

Thanks for reading

puddington out

Status
Not open for further replies.