Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ati radeon hd 5450 1gb ddr3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2011 8:56:56 AM

Hi,

I just bought a ATI Radeon hd 5450 graphics card and successfully installed onto my computer, MB - core2 duo, OS - Vista. Diaplay and software all installed propely.

However, there is no sound from the speakers. I checked the control panel - sound. It shows 'Digital Output Device (HDMI), high definition audio device, working'. When I click the cinfiguration and do a test, there is no sound at all. I removed it and put back the old sound card (navida - 256MB) and it works (got sound). Once I put back the ATI Radeon card - no sound.

I alos tried removed the 'Digital Output Device (HDMI), high definition audio device' and the indication is no sound card installed. Once I restart my computer, it was auto installed the 'Digital Output Device (HDMI), high definition audio device'. But still no sound.

Can help? Thanks.

Regards
Kelvin
August 22, 2011 9:03:13 AM

You are talking about getting sound from the speakers on your monitor?
Score
August 22, 2011 9:09:40 AM

jyjjy said:
You are talking about getting sound from the speakers on your monitor?

No, from my MB. I've speaker plug into the audio out point.
Score
Related resources
August 22, 2011 11:12:06 AM

You should have two separate sound devices on your computer. The audio built into the motherboard and the HDMI sound output from the video card. The HDMI audio will only ever work to power the speakers on a display you have connected to your video card through the HDMI cable. Your system likely has the HDMI output as the default. You can change it in the sound section of the control panel. If that is the only audio device listed then you don't have the proper drivers installed for your onboard audio.
Score
August 22, 2011 1:53:34 PM

jyjjy said:
You should have two separate sound devices on your computer. The audio built into the motherboard and the HDMI sound output from the video card. The HDMI audio will only ever work to power the speakers on a display you have connected to your video card through the HDMI cable. Your system likely has the HDMI output as the default. You can change it in the sound section of the control panel. If that is the only audio device listed then you don't have the proper drivers installed for your onboard audio.

I tried again to re-install the driver. Now the item installed showed in the 'sound' as - AMD High Definition Audio Device. But the status is - 'not plugged in'. And at the task bar, from the speaker icon, it shewed a speaker with a red cross. When I put mouse over it, it indiated as 'no audio output device is installed'.

Thanks for the advice so far. Cheers!
Score
August 22, 2011 1:54:35 PM

jyjjy said:

I tried again to re-install the driver. Now the item installed showed in the 'sound' as - AMD High Definition Audio Device. But the status is - 'not plugged in'. And at the task bar, from the speaker icon, it shewed a speaker with a red cross. When I put mouse over it, it indiated as 'no audio output device is installed'.

Thanks for the advice so far. Cheers!
Score
August 22, 2011 6:24:37 PM

Are the speakers plugged into the motherboard's sound output? Also in the right port? I believe they are usually color coded and the one you want is light green.
Score
August 23, 2011 1:12:48 PM

Yes, is light green in color. Don't understand what's the problem. But after I indtalled the AMD software, the old one still be shown right? For my case, after I installed, the old one also disapperaed.
Score
August 23, 2011 1:22:07 PM

What are your system specs? Have you tried updating your motherboard sound drivers? You may find they are out of date.
Score
August 23, 2011 10:33:19 PM

Yes, to be clear earlier I was not saying to reinstall the sound card drivers but rather the drivers for the audio built into the motherboard. Are you sure you have the right drivers?
Score
August 27, 2011 8:44:39 AM

Yes, I tried reinstalled and the system indicated as up to date.
Score
August 27, 2011 8:54:52 AM

I don't understand how the system can see the device, let you install drivers for it, tell you they are up to date and working but then its not in the sound control panel.
Score
August 29, 2011 1:15:03 PM

I also don't understand!!!
Score
September 4, 2011 1:22:17 PM

Hi, I found the problem.. Is was disable in the CMOS setup (integrated sound). I can't access it due to no admin password earlier. Thansk for all the advices provided. :-)
Score
September 4, 2011 7:19:58 PM

Weird. I would have thought if it was disabled in the BIOS then Windows wouldn't see it at all/let you install drivers.
Score
!