Sign in with
Your question

Game crashing after redoing thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:31:21 PM

I just reapplied thermal paste on my cpu i7-2700k yesterday because the temperature was too high - 40C idle and 75C under load at 4.6ghz. I ran the cpu at 4.8ghz for a month without any problem, but I decided to lower the temperature to make it even more stable. Lowering to 4.6ghz wasn't enough as the max temp was still above 75C, so I decided to lower it further. With 4.5ghz and 1.27 Vcore, the system seemed fine for having a max temperature of 70C after running prime 95 for a while. To my surprise it kept crashing when I played bf3. I automatically assumed that I didn't have enough voltage, so I up the voltage by 0.01 at a time. It crashed again just now with 1.29v.

I suspect that I might have damaged the CPU during reinstallation. I took out the heatsink and the CPU, and wiped down the residue with 70% rubbing alcohol. Cleaning the CPU took some time because there was thermal paste on the side of the top square. I gently took out as much residue as I could with a soft tooth pick and rubbed with non fabric clothing and alcohol very carefully. During the proccess I touched the bottom of the CPU once with my finger on accident, and might have contaminated it with skin grease.

I'm running prime95 again with 4.3ghz while I'm writing this. The temperature has been below 70C. If it crashes again on bf3, I really don't know what to do.

CPU:2700K
mobo: p8z68-v pro
fan: hyper 212 plus
a c 184 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:40:01 PM

You did something wrong with mounting the 212. I would get another fan for the 212 for a push pull config.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:40:45 PM

Your cleaning technique is correct! I hold the CPU upside down by the edges, and then use alcohol swabs. Usually 3 swabs will get rid of the old paste.

Please ensure that the heatsink is fastened in a cross pattern tightening manner; as evenly as possible. I make the fasteners finger tight and then tighten 1/4 turn at a time in a cross pattern. Do not over tighten.
Related resources
January 21, 2012 9:42:35 PM

I mounted 212 very carefully and can't see anything I did wrong. Adding another fan would help, but still doesn't explain the current problem...
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:45:11 PM

asurastrike said:
I mounted 212 very carefully and can't see anything I did wrong. Adding another fan would help, but still doesn't explain the current problem...

The fasteners must be tightened gradually in a cross pattern. (Similar to tightening the head on an automobile engine).
January 21, 2012 9:46:53 PM

yes. I tightened in a cross pattern and not in a circle. I tighened 3 turns at a time instead of 1/4 however, about 6 turns overall.
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:50:51 PM

asurastrike said:
yes. I tightened in a cross pattern and not in a circle. I tighened 3 turns at a time instead of 1/4 however, about 6 turns overall.

Three turns even on fine threads is about 1 mm distance, maybe more depending on the screw pitch, and is too much. It will tend to tilt the heatsink base.

1/4 turn at a time after making the fasteners finger tight would be conservative and very safe. After all you are going to do this maybe once a year?
a b à CPUs
January 21, 2012 9:51:51 PM

does anything else crash? other games or benchmarks?
January 21, 2012 9:58:35 PM

Ubrales said:
Three turns even on fine threads is about 1 mm distance, maybe more depending on the screw pitch, and is too much. It will tend to tilt the heatsink base.

1/4 turn at a time after making the fasteners finger tight would be conservative and very safe. After all you are going to do this maybe once a year?

Point noted, but this still doesnt explain the high temperature and instability. It's been an hour since prime95 started. The temperatures of all cores are generally between 60-65C and peak at 70C. It looks stable so far - no crash or blue screen. I will keep running this for a couple more hours and then run bf3 afterward. What really baffles me though, is it was stable and bf3 never crashed at 4.8ghz, yet it gets so problemetic.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 21, 2012 10:15:24 PM

Just stop overclocking and try running the game.
January 22, 2012 1:34:30 AM

You know what I would do is start again, Clear CMOS and start all over again. Try and run the game at stock, if you it works then overclock.
!