Your question

Is my new system compatible? Major instability issues

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 4:14:23 PM

Hello,

I recently built a new computer for gaming and I just wanted it to be kick ass just for fun.

After putting it all together, it hasn't run a single day without crashing and has gotten to the point where it won't run for more than 5 minutes without a crash (Blue screens/random restarts/failed startups). At one point, the power supply went out and wouldn't send the "power good" signal to the mobo. After a simple RMA, the crashes continued (which leaves me to believe that the PSU was a seperate issue).

I took it over to my local computer repair center. He ran some drive checks and came back with the answer that both drives were bad. He had gotten over a million EEC errors in about 5 minutes on the SSD. RMA both of them, the SSD comes back bad as well. According to the OCZ RMA manager, I hit the lottery, because this failure rate is unheard of.

However, finally get two good drives in the system and reinstall my Win 7 Home Pro, and 3 days later, its back to crashing every five minutes. Just like last time it got progressively worse. The first was like 1 crash, then the next was every couple of hours, then every 30 minutes... etc.

I don't get it. Please help.

My system:

-Case-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid
-PSU-Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V
-MOBO-Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD
-Processor-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz AM3 Socket 125W Six-Core (HDT90ZFBGRBOX)
-RAM1-Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) (KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX)
-RAM2-Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) (KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX)
-SSD-OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC
-SSD-The above was replaced with the Agility 3 SATA III drive after the second RMA
-HDD-Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPA SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"-Bare Drive

That covers it all. As I stated above, after the 2 RMAs on the OCZ SSD, they sent back an upgrade to the SATA III version of the same drive (which I was pretty excited about). However, now we are back to the same type of crashing issues meaning that when I test these drives, I am willing to bet that they are bad as well. I don't have a seperate computer to do the testing, so i'm going to the repair place today.

Sorry for the long winded explaination, but this a weird one, and I wanted to give you all the details of the history of this build from hell.

Thanks everybody.

More about : system compatible major instability issues

October 21, 2011 4:27:39 PM

Sorry, I totally forgot to include my Graphics Card in the parts list:

-Graphics Card-Zotec ZT-40408-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 9:48:55 PM

There have been many issues with SSDs and you may be getting a batch of bad ones? If you are mixing RAM that too can cause big problems. I'd run Memtests86+ from a floppy, CD or flash drive to be sure the RAM is OK. If the RAM is OK, which would be a BIG surprise with two different sets of RAM... then I'd disconnect the SSD and test the system with just the HD for a week.

My guess is you could have several issues including mixed RAM and bad SSDs???? You might need to pull one of the RAM kits to get stability even if the SSD is good.
m
l
October 21, 2011 10:17:34 PM

Great advice, beenthere, I will try that out over the next week and hopefully return with good news. I can't believe that I could have this bad of luck with drives.

If it turns out that I get stability with 1 set of RAM, would I have to buy a second identical set and just scrap the other set? Is that the only way to successfully combine two sets of RAM, if they are identical?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2011 11:30:22 PM

It's very difficult to mix DDR3 RAM and not have problems though on occasion it does work. I'd go with just the 2x 4 GB. kit if it works stable. Unless you're running CAD or doing video editing or something that can use a lot of RAM, 8 GB. is plenty for most people.
m
l
!