Thermaltake PSU differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effrego

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I am currently planning on upgrading my PSU
(Specs: 2500k, 8gbram,5770)
And I noticed that the thermaltake psu's prices vary, the Litepower ones are cheaper than those EVO, ToughPower ones, is there any reason for this? Are the pricier ones more reliable or what?

Solution
The Antec EaertWatts-Green 750W is built by Delta Electronics, and is a good unit.
The Antec TP (new Bronze versions TP-650, and TP-750) are built by Seasonic and are excellent units.
The Antec TP (older versions) are built by CWT, and are acceptable units.
The Corsair HX650 is built by Seasonic and is an excellent unit.
The Corsair HX750 is built by CWT and is a very good unit.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Is there any reason you want a Thermaltake in specific? I all honesty, I disagree with totalknowledge and am going to say that in comparison with the other major brands, Thermaltake PSUs just aren't built well. Yeah, if nothing else is available they're alright, but when you put a Thermaltake beside a good Corsair, there's no comparison.

If possible, get something from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or OCZ. Under them I'd put CoolerMaster and maybe Silverstone, but if at all possible, go for the first four.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I am not particularly fond of Thermaltake, I have had two Thermaltake units (both built by HEC) die on me.

Corsair, Antec, and OCZ design, but do not build their own power supplies. Some of their units are better than others. I would place Antec and OCZ on the level of Thermaltake. Corsair typically has good supplies, while there are a few that are not as good.

Cooler Master is simply a reseller.

Seasonic, Enhance, Etasis, Enermax, Superflower (the new ones), Flextronics... all seem to consistently produce quality psu's

FSP, CWT, Delta, Great Wall, AcBel, Sirtec... all seem to make good units a lot of the time, but also have their warts.

I personally think that Corsair's reputation far exceeds its actual quality. I am not saying they are bad, but they are not the best.

Effrego

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hmm I don't actually have a reason for going with thermaltake, I guess its because they are somewhat cheaper(litepower ones) though I guess that gives me faulty/bad PSUs..
Also I took a look at some antec and corsair PSUs, and saw a couple that seemed good, though are they good? :
Antec EarthWatts-Green 750W, Antec TruePower 750W or 650W
Corsair TX750 and Corsair HX650
How are these 4 PSU's quality? compared to each other

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
The Antec EaertWatts-Green 750W is built by Delta Electronics, and is a good unit.
The Antec TP (new Bronze versions TP-650, and TP-750) are built by Seasonic and are excellent units.
The Antec TP (older versions) are built by CWT, and are acceptable units.
The Corsair HX650 is built by Seasonic and is an excellent unit.
The Corsair HX750 is built by CWT and is a very good unit.

Solution
There are two Corsair TX750 models currently available:

CMPSU-750TXV2, OEM: Seasonic, based on the Seasonic SS-750AT platform, fully hard wired

CMPSU-750TXM, OEM: CWT, New semi-modular

The CMPSU-750TXV2 is the better of the two in terms of its electrical performance.

Effrego

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hmm thanks for the info everyone, looks like I'll go for a Antec TP750 or Corsair HX650, never knew seasonic made such good power supplies (last time I bought components a friend had recommended one for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.