Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Monitor screen goes blank suddenly but pc still running (Cpu fan starts spinnin

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 22, 2011 12:39:49 PM

Ok ive been having this problem since the past few months.. tried everything i could.. read every possible post.. so i finally decided to create my own post...

Comp Specs
Mobo - Dx58SO
CPU - core i7 - 920
Gx card - Ati Radeon 4350 HD
Ram - 2 X 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz (total 6GB)
Hdd - 2 X 1TB HDD and one 500GB hdd( OS installed here)
PSU - 550W iBall PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed
(using stock CPU fan given by intel)

Comps barely 1 and a half year old

PROBLEM
the computer screen goes black randomly whether im playing any game o browsing.. it sometimes goes off jus after the BIOS screen o even jus after the windows logo comes...
once the screen goes black the CPU fan starts spinnin at max speed (i can hear the difference)
HDD busy light goes off but sometimes it remains on and the power light remains on..

RARE problem
sometimes an error used to come up just after the BIOS screen
==================
The System BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance or recent hardware changes
Press 'Y' to enter BIOS Setup or press 'N' to attempt to boot with previous settings
==================


Things i tried
i initially thought it was a overheatin problem.. but i checked the temp logs with coreTemp.. it showed that sometimes it went blank when the PC was at 60degreesC o sumtimes even 49C or 55C.. so CPU overheatin is out of the question
i tried flashing the BIOS which dint make a diff. but stopped the error..
i tried installin new RAM sticks.. (upgraded from 1x2GB to 3x2GB)
i thought it could be a GPU overheating problem .. so i stuck a fan to the heatsink, this kept the temp at around 60C
but still i have a feeling its a graphix card problem.. cuz ive tried everything else..

Any1 please help me with his problem.. i have really tried everything.. some1 pls help

Best solution

October 7, 2011 2:05:30 AM

atishd_12345 said:
Ok ive been having this problem since the past few months.. tried everything i could.. read every possible post.. so i finally decided to create my own post...

Comp Specs
Mobo - Dx58SO
CPU - core i7 - 920
Gx card - Ati Radeon 4350 HD
Ram - 2 X 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz (total 6GB)
Hdd - 2 X 1TB HDD and one 500GB hdd( OS installed here)
PSU - 550W iBall PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed
(using stock CPU fan given by intel)

Comps barely 1 and a half year old

PROBLEM
the computer screen goes black randomly whether im playing any game o browsing.. it sometimes goes off jus after the BIOS screen o even jus after the windows logo comes...
once the screen goes black the CPU fan starts spinnin at max speed (i can hear the difference)
HDD busy light goes off but sometimes it remains on and the power light remains on..

RARE problem
sometimes an error used to come up just after the BIOS screen
==================
The System BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s)
Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS Performance or recent hardware changes
Press 'Y' to enter BIOS Setup or press 'N' to attempt to boot with previous settings
==================


Things i tried
i initially thought it was a overheatin problem.. but i checked the temp logs with coreTemp.. it showed that sometimes it went blank when the PC was at 60degreesC o sumtimes even 49C or 55C.. so CPU overheatin is out of the question
i tried flashing the BIOS which dint make a diff. but stopped the error..
i tried installin new RAM sticks.. (upgraded from 1x2GB to 3x2GB)
i thought it could be a GPU overheating problem .. so i stuck a fan to the heatsink, this kept the temp at around 60C
but still i have a feeling its a graphix card problem.. cuz ive tried everything else..

Any1 please help me with his problem.. i have really tried everything.. some1 pls help



Ive been trying to figure out this almost SAME issue with my system.

Heres my specs.

Win 7 64bit
ASUS Rampage lll Formula
Ati HD5850 Crossfired (Brand XFX)
CPU intel i7 950 bloomfield ed.
6 gigs mushkin RAM
Corsair 1k watt PSU certified for sli/xfire

Now, to the meat of what I have been expieriencing. Bought this compy right b4 release of Black Ops in Nov 10. Built it, all seemed hunky dory.

Started getting some strange voltage issue with my Motherboard reporting (AI Suite for ASUS). Long story short started getting these random Monitor shuts down and you can hear fans kick up to 100%, I never could determine if it was the GPU fans or CPU, or Chassis fans. Or all at once. Regardless it was noticibly louder. Scenarios in which this would happen. It would come out of sleep mode, and almost 30 sec later would kick the issue. If Im running a game with crossfire, or even a single GPU, game would last random times, never predictable. Lastly would start up and after bios would kick in.

Funny thing was, I could have this running ALL night (idle). Then when id switch my input to the Computer on my system, it would have the issue. Like right as the video showed up on screen. So I eventually got an RMA for my 'problem' gfx card, and seemed like it was fixed. Then it came back... and with even more regularity.

Noticed 2 pins on my ATX connector were badly melted coming from my PSU, and the female end on the Mobo, the pins were brown colored and not shiney silver like the other 22 pins. RMA a PSU, then RMA a Mobo. Bought a V8 fan for CPU, and put together. NO ISSUES! but wait... no more than 2 months later. THAT DAMN ISSUE WITH THE MONITOR SHUTTING OFF AND COMPUTER STILL RUNNING, FANS A BLAZING, CAME BACK.... to my disgust.

What gives?? I really do not think its CPU, it all points toward GPU's. As my ligitech G15 keyboard showed GPU1 as some whacky wierd readings. -1 temp, GPU usage at 200%. etc. While gpu 2 looks normal.

Problem is now, I just got a RMA going for my new 'problem' gpu and no more than a day later that issue showed up again.. monitor off, fans ON..

For shits and gigs, I looked at the atx connector to see if im getting some bad voltages or something. Believe it or not even with all the new hardware those same 2 pins are semi brown colored, showin me i might still just be having a power issue. This is completely frustrating for me. A 2k system (at the time) that has been SO unreliable to me.. Anyone else maybe have some Ideas for both of us??

PS Atishd.. please tell me you dont have XFX cards. If you do we might just have figured out the issue. Im --> <--- close to going with a Saphire 6970 card..and not dealing with XFX again.

Share
October 26, 2011 6:49:41 PM

I'm having pretty much the same problem with my media machine. I don't have all the specs available to me at the moment as I am at work, but all of the research I have done so far points to the PSU as being the likely culprit followed by the possibility of a bad GPU card.

I'm going to borrow a PSU from a friend and test here in the next couple of days.
Score
0
Related resources
October 26, 2011 7:17:25 PM

Quote:
the computer screen goes black randomly whether im playing any game o browsing.. it sometimes goes off jus after the BIOS screen o even jus after the windows logo comes...
once the screen goes black the CPU fan starts spinnin at max speed


I had the same problem... I tried everything as well...

And I meant everything...

In the end I found out that my Graphic Card was Faulty. Also I found out that my PSU was bust... check these 2 components. I got a new CPU and GPU everything runs fine now.

I had the same problem as you guys and it was indeed a bad GPU.
Score
0
November 1, 2011 4:32:50 PM

Best answer selected by atishd_12345.
Score
0
November 1, 2011 4:44:27 PM

Tmaximum said:
Ive been trying to figure out this almost SAME issue with my system.

Heres my specs.

Win 7 64bit
ASUS Rampage lll Formula
Ati HD5850 Crossfired (Brand XFX)
CPU intel i7 950 bloomfield ed.
6 gigs mushkin RAM
Corsair 1k watt PSU certified for sli/xfire

PS Atishd.. please tell me you dont have XFX cards. If you do we might just have figured out the issue. Im --> <--- close to going with a Saphire 6970 card..and not dealing with XFX again.


yes Tmaximum the card im using is also XFX.. sorry ... i never paid attention the brands.. but now that u brought it up.. i faintly remember when i was choosing a card XFX was the cheapest chioce.. but i also remember some reviews where the card used t randomly fail or get overheated or get burnt..
i guess that seems to be the only logical prob. .. the crappy XFX brand cards..

it couldnt be the RAM cuz now m using 3x2GB RAM= 6GB (bought 2 more jus t check if it was the ram prob)
and not hte CPU as i monitored the temp using coretemp...

but i noticed the "intel X58 Express chipset" (those square plates close together to the right of the CPU socket- below the ram) getting very hot.. sometime too hot to touch.. but putting the tiny fan there seems to do the job..
other than this i too feel now its the "XFX" Gx card-- source of the prob.. pls let me kno if changing the card solves your problem
Score
0
November 1, 2011 4:54:53 PM

M Bison said:
I'm having pretty much the same problem with my media machine. I don't have all the specs available to me at the moment as I am at work, but all of the research I have done so far points to the PSU as being the likely culprit followed by the possibility of a bad GPU card.

I'm going to borrow a PSU from a friend and test here in the next couple of days.


hmmm i think its only the GPU problem.. cuz i have an iBall PSU.. which isnt a high end mainstream PSU..
M currently doin electronics n telecom engg.. so i managed to built a circuit t draw atleast 18 amps from it.. and measured the volt drop n current drawn by the load ckt frm the PSU.. surprisingly it easly held a 4.95 volts @ 18AMP load.. (18 amp is a very very huge current almost near the 20A max capacity of the PSU) n it easily supported the load..
so my conclusion is that if even these PSU's can support it.. the mainstream high end ones will easily do..

which leaves the GPU..

Score
0
February 4, 2012 3:48:29 AM

the issue was the motherboard...
it seems that the usb ports behind the cabinet had got rusted to they were touching internally.

ive given the motherboard for replacement warranty.. the new piece has still not arrived

but surprising.. its barely even 2 years and the mobo was the source of the prblem..!!
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2012 7:16:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!