Mac or PC?

Hello, I just graduated from film school. What I want to do in future is rendering with Max and Maya. I will use this computer for animation as well. I can get PC or imac both for the same price but the best CPU and graphic card vs imac's newest generation ( both of them will be around 3000 dollars ) now which one do you suggest?
Is this benchmark a right place that I'm comparing CPUs and Graphic cards?
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
34 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Trust us and in-depth reviews over those benchmarks, I'd say.

Depends how much you want to spend. You could do a PC for $2500 that would have FAR more power than the most powerful Mac Pro available, and I'm talking about $6000 of options. There's basically nothing PC-wise worth spending $3000 on. The Mac Pro's best GPU option is a 5870. That's pathetic.
    With a Mac, $3600 will get you a single 5870, 16gb RAM and a 2.8ghz last-generation CPU. With a PC, $2000 will get you a 7970, 256gb of SSD storage, a 2600K that'll easily hit 4.5ghz (far superior) and a monitor and peripherals to boot.

On the other hand, Apple has a superior operating system. I consider that a fact, but then I was raised on it. Others will disagree. The Mac OS is just smoother and easier to use. Is that worth $1500 extra for far inferior hardware? I don't think so. I think PC is the way to go.
  2. So why do I hear that the most graphists use Mac?
    I can't spend more than 3000 dollars and to be honest with you Mac cinema display has caught my eyes and I can't ignore that this monitor has the best look and resolution I have ever seen in my life.
  3. I agree with kajabla, Macs are great machines but for the price you can get an iMac you can put together a custom PC that will greatly outperform that iMac any day of the week. I dont think a high res monitor justifies spending a bunch of money on inferior hardware, especially when it comes to rendering and video editing. I would put together a custom PC and hold off on some of the more expensive hardware and get a high res monitor if that's what you really want.
  4. Most people use them because they're unwilling to learn how to deal with computers, because they like the cases, because their peers use them and because they work for companies with effectively unlimited budgets, so price isn't a consideration.
    There are plenty of excellent monitors out there used by graphic artists, and you can easily find a 2560x1600 monitor (bigger than the Apple!) that suits you. I'm not an expert in that field, though.
  5. i7-2600k
    Gigabyte z68x-ud4
    16gb corsair ram
    Radeon 6870
    Your case
    Corsair H100
    Mac os X
    Turn that system into a hackintosh.
  6. Meh on the H100. The 6870'll be louder than any decent air cooler. I like the Mugen 3. I'd also go with a 2gb 6950 for the high resolution.
  7. kajabla said:
    Meh on the H100. The 6870'll be louder than any decent air cooler. I like the Mugen 3. I'd also go with a 2gb 6950 for the high resolution.

6950 doesn't work with mac os. :pfff:
  8. Most people buy macs for graphics editing cause thats what people been doing for a long time and they even get taught in school using macs.

the Mac OS isn't any better than windows, they are both what they are. Depends on what you are more comfortable with. OSX is just a lock version of linux with everything costing money.

Buy a PC with the same hardware as the best mac pros and you'd save yourself a couple thousand dollars. you can then put osx on there as a hackintosh, all you'd lose is the shiny apple logo on your case.
  9. ok wait wait wait. I'm not good at hardware stuff. I've been told that CPU and Graphic cards which are super cool for gaming are not good for rendering so I have no clue what cpu and graphic card is the best for rendering right now in market. Can you show me a benchmark or a chart that I can choose the best of all?
  10. nvidia quadro cards are tyhe best for 3d.
  11. why corei7 2600k? corei7 3930k isn't better? it looks much more faster.
    if quadro is faster for rendering why GTX 560?
  12. Honey_khadem said:
    why corei7 2600k? corei7 3930k isn't better? it looks much more faster.
    if quadro is faster for rendering why GTX 560?

Do you want to make this into a hackintosh?
  13. I don't know what hackintosh is?
    what do you mean?
  14. oh ok I read something. No I an work with it as a PC. That's fine. I don't need lion
  15. then you should get a i7 extreme and a quadro. No reason not to then except for the price.
  16. what is the benefit of having a mac os? why it is said that graphist work with Mac? if I can get the same speed from a PC why everyone thinks Mac is better for Animation and rendering?
  17. people are more used to it and some software only works on mac.
  18. ...but most mainstream media software (Photoshop, Maya) works fine on Windows.

To paraphrase earlier answers to your question by myself, esrever and amufin, many graphic artists use Macs because their peers do, because they're taught on them in school (tradition), and because they look a little slicker.
  19. you can build a workstation rig with the i7-3930k and have about $1000 left for a quadro card.
  20. ok deal for core i7 3930. listen I read some reviews about GTX 580. it looks it's even faster than quadro 4000 for 3d rendering. what do you think? I know it's the best for gaming but I just saw some review but I don't know if I can trust them.
  21. It actually isn't.
  22. Honey_khadem said:
    what is the benefit of having a mac os? why it is said that graphist work with Mac? if I can get the same speed from a PC why everyone thinks Mac is better for Animation and rendering?

Cleaver marketing. For years Macs have used the same hardware as PC. So thats not it. The software has been the same as well. So thats another one out. Its all just marketing. Honestly there is nothing you can do on a Mac that you cannot do on a PC for less money and better.

As for the Quadro, they are designed for graphics programs while anything else, i.e. GTX560 HD6870, are designed for gaming. There are slight differences and the Quadros tend to be higher quality silicon. Much like a Xeon.

As for the 2600K vs the 3960K, six cores would be betetr but it also costs 2x as much and most of the programs will utilize the Quadro mroe than the CPU. Save some money on the CPU (the 2600K is still a beast) and get the best Quadro you can buy.
  23. So I can go for Core i7 3930 and quadro 4000 and I think still the whole system will be less than 3000. oh I want a monitor with 2560 * 1600 resolution. I wish I could use apple monitor for my PC :(
  24. Honey_khadem said:
    So I can go for Core i7 3930 and quadro 4000 and I think still the whole system will be less than 3000. oh I want a monitor with 2560 * 1600 resolution. I wish I could use apple monitor for my PC :(

Why?Dell makes plenty of nice 32" 2560x1600 IPS monitors. Apple doesn't own that, its just what they include to be able to jstify the jack up the price charge.
  25. jimmysmitty said:
    As for the Quadro, they are designed for graphics programs while anything else, i.e. GTX560 HD6870, are designed for gaming. There are slight differences and the Quadros tend to be higher quality silicon. Much like a Xeon.

Actually, if I'm not much mistaken, it's the same silicon. They use the same GPUs with slightly different card designs and, most importantly, different drivers.
  26. Im pretty sure they bin them and sell the better ones as quadros.
  27. Ok let's go down your build.
    i7-3930k
    asus px79 pro
    Corsair tx 750W
    Quadro 4000
    Corsair H100...? (Or other coolers)
    Case ( I recommend something like the 650D)
    Ram 16GB-64GB Depends on how much ram is optimal for maya and stuff. (Personally I use 16gb)
    128gb ssd
    750gb hdd...?
  28. Why not get a nice 500W PSU? If SLI isn't in the works, it won't hurt anything.
    No reason to waste money on water cooling, IMO. A $50 Mugen 3 would do fine, and the noise would be drowned out by the GPU.
  29. ^True on the viruses, but Mac viruses are becoming more prevalent, and it's not difficult to avoid PC viruses. Just get some good software (AVG Free is often recommended, though others are good too) and don't click stupid links :P
  30. Thank you so much for your help guys. Will keep all in my mind :) Will post later if I have anymore question.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs iMac Macintosh