Processor for trading pc

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:07:18 AM

hello,

I need to buy a processor for a new build that will be used exclusively for online day trading. I have tha following queries -

a) does keeping 12 - 15 charts (2 monitors) open in real time amount to multi tasking? I wont be doing any number crunching/ scanning/ excel spreadsheets/ during market hours.

b) I know i wont require a high end processor, so would an i3 2100 be okay for me or would a phenom x4 970 with 4 cores be better for running multiple charts in real time?

c) would the phenom be okay running 6-7 hours at a stretch?....i dont mind the power consumption much if it works better with 12 charts. I know I would need an third party cpu cooler with the phenom.

d) or would you deride my choice and suggest a core i5 2500, considering I need to run 15 charts in real time? I am willing to invest in the i5 if it makes a difference.

e) I plan to install 12 gb of corsair/ g skill in this build.

f) lastly, would a standard ATX board be better, since i have heard that micro ATX boards block the last ram slot with a 120 mm cpu cooler?

any help would be appreciated.

savoy7

More about : processor trading

a c 186 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:18:06 AM

Install 16gb or 8gb, yes an i3-2100 would be plenty. I would get an asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:30:40 AM

I think you'd do fine with an i3 or a phenom, doubt there will be much differences.

you should get a cooler for both even if you get an i3 as it helps when you run the machine all day.

why 12 gb of ram? 2 channel memory is what you'd use and you should stick to 8 or 16 gbs.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 6:20:49 AM

in all cases you can id say go intel,there a bit more $$ but overall they win and id go 16 gb ram if your doing alot of multitasking,ill second the asrock mb from what i here there very good boards
m
l
January 22, 2012 8:04:14 AM

hello,

thanks so much guys for your replies. From what I gather, you all seem to think that i should install all ram sticks of the same capacity and speed ....and thats the way it will be....4 x 4 gb...thats done...

was thinking of an intel branded board...DH67CL B3 version w/ 32 gb memory support...is the asusrock better? I wont be gaming anyway...just exclusively for trading.

as far as the processor goes, from what you have suggested so far, the core i3 2100 seems better suited for the job. I doubt if trading platforms are multi threaded anyway...

one last question...

would a 500 watt (antec/ corsair) 80 plus certified psu suffice for my build?

core i3 2100/ 16 gb ram
80 gb ssd (two) - one for windows 7 & another for ubuntu
dual monitor (20 or 22 inch)
DVD writer

thanx again...all of you.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 8:07:32 AM

yes the psu will work.
m
l
January 22, 2012 9:38:06 AM

Just to make sure, use a proper PCIE graphics card rather than the dedicated chipset (if your MoBo comes with one) if you're running two screens. Most graphics cards these days support dual monitors so you'll have no problem finding one within your budget.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 12:47:49 PM

Hi :) 

This machine is for making money for you and you are talking about cheap parts....

But the BEST machine or parts you can.....

I own various computer and laptop businesses and my own computers both in my office and home are the best we build.....you dont skimp when the machine is intended to MAKE money for you.....

If you want multiple monitors buy the best machine and best graphics card...with an AMD Eyefinity graphics card you can run up to 6 monitors at once....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 1:05:17 PM

It's good that you know what you want your machine to do, but you don't seem sure if the programs you use utilise multiple threads...my advice is to find out! Why are you going for 12GB of RAM? Usually a lot of RAM means a program that can use it...and they can also utilise multiple threads. If it'll handle as many cores as you can throw at it, an i3-2100...whilst good...would not be the best CPU for you.
m
l
January 22, 2012 3:04:11 PM

Brett928S2 said:

This machine is for making money for you and you are talking about cheap parts....

But the BEST machine or parts you can.....

I own various computer and laptop businesses and my own computers both in my office and home are the best we build.....you dont skimp when the machine is intended to MAKE money for you.....

If you want multiple monitors buy the best machine and best graphics card...with an AMD Eyefinity graphics card you can run up to 6 monitors at once....

Brett,

thanx for stopping by...but im not looking for a cheap build. I just dont want to buy whats not necessary. In trading, you are basically streaming data in real time and that doesnt require a lot of processing power. I was using an intel E 7500 with 4 gb ram and doing pretty well with 6 open charts and one monitor. That system has gone kaput possibly due to a faulty psu and im now trading with my old P4...which is why i need a new system.

I know traders with fancy hardware and they dont make any more money than I do....in fact much less. From what I have seen, its the novice traders who overspend on the i7's and six and eight core systems in the hope that it will give them an edge...trust me brett...it wont.

I just need an upgrade over the E 7500 for a dual monitor setup and 16 gb memory to run 12 charts in real time.

I was just asking if an i3 2100 or a phenom x4 970 would do... and which is better? ....and by the way...my trading platform is not multi threaded. And yes...you are right about the graphics card...i need a good one. Will an ATI card cause any compatibility issues with an intel board?

regards,

savoy7

m
l
January 22, 2012 3:11:15 PM

diellur said:
It's good that you know what you want your machine to do, but you don't seem sure if the programs you use utilise multiple threads...my advice is to find out! Why are you going for 12GB of RAM? Usually a lot of RAM means a program that can use it...and they can also utilise multiple threads. If it'll handle as many cores as you can throw at it, an i3-2100...whilst good...would not be the best CPU for you.

hello diellur,

the program is not multi threaded...I just found out. How much ram would you suggest?

thanx for your reply,

savoy7
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 3:40:12 PM

id say any day over any cpu a i5 2500k prevails biggest bang for the buck
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:12:57 PM

savoy7 said:
Brett,

thanx for stopping by...but im not looking for a cheap build. I just dont want to buy whats not necessary. In trading, you are basically streaming data in real time and that doesnt require a lot of processing power. I was using an intel E 7500 with 4 gb ram and doing pretty well with 6 open charts and one monitor. That system has gone kaput possibly due to a faulty psu and im now trading with my old P4...which is why i need a new system.

I know traders with fancy hardware and they dont make any more money than I do....in fact much less. From what I have seen, its the novice traders who overspend on the i7's and six and eight core systems in the hope that it will give them an edge...trust me brett...it wont.

I just need an upgrade over the E 7500 for a dual monitor setup and 16 gb memory to run 12 charts in real time.

I was just asking if an i3 2100 or a phenom x4 970 would do... and which is better? ....and by the way...my trading platform is not multi threaded. And yes...you are right about the graphics card...i need a good one. Will an ATI card cause any compatibility issues with an intel board?

regards,

savoy7

Any ATI card will work fine with an Intel board...

We build machines for a trading company, they use a 4 screen system, they have the best we can build, as they want SPEED (in the sense of instant pages refreshing etc) rather than speed of machine....so we build fast machines (as the two things are linked)...and expensive ones lol :) 

m
l
January 23, 2012 12:18:43 PM

hello bret,

thanx for all your suggestions...may i ask you just one more thing?

some graphics cards that I have seen online say - 90 or 120 mm fan required. Does that mean the card has fan cooling but come without a stock fan and requires me to buy one?

....or is that an additional option to add a fan if i need one?

regards...

savoy7
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:24:49 PM

I'm not sure where we got to on the Motherboard front....but I wouldn't recommend the ASRock Gen3. These are a little "fancy" and possibly don't match the quality of an Intel or ASUS motherboard.

Z68 is also fairly unnecessary and an extra cost you don't need with an i3-2100.

i3-2100 or i3-2130 (slightly higher clock speed) with a H61 motherboard would be fine.

For an Eyefinity Graphics card: Something along the lines of 6670/6750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 1:13:16 PM

savoy7 said:
hello bret,

thanx for all your suggestions...may i ask you just one more thing?

some graphics cards that I have seen online say - 90 or 120 mm fan required. Does that mean the card has fan cooling but come without a stock fan and requires me to buy one?

....or is that an additional option to add a fan if i need one?

regards...

savoy7

Not sure of what card needs a fan added....never seen one....

ANY good graphics card has its own cooling..fans/heeatsinks etc...

m
l
January 25, 2012 1:04:05 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Not sure of what card needs a fan added....never seen one....

ANY good graphics card has its own cooling..fans/heeatsinks etc...

brett,

sorted the GPU issue out...

forget to ask you guys one important question...

the cpu comes with its own thermal paste applied. Now while using a third party cpu cooler, do I need to remove it and apply new thermal paste on both the cpu and the heat sink?

I mean...does the thermal paste on the cpu and the heat sink have to be the same type and brand or can I leave the TP on the cpu as it is and apply the new TP on just the heat sink?

Thanx for all your suggestions brett and everyone else...

regards,
savoy7

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2012 1:47:55 PM

savoy7 said:
brett,

sorted the GPU issue out...

forget to ask you guys one important question...

the cpu comes with its own thermal paste applied. Now while using a third party cpu cooler, do I need to remove it and apply new thermal paste on both the cpu and the heat sink?

I mean...does the thermal paste on the cpu and the heat sink have to be the same type and brand or can I leave the TP on the cpu as it is and apply the new TP on just the heat sink?

Thanx for all your suggestions brett and everyone else...

regards,
savoy7

You need thermal paste on ONE surface.... so if old stuff on cpu ..clean it off...and just use the stuff on new heatsink/fan...

m
l
!