PC Boots first time but not second HELP!!

jerrypg

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi ill post some specs first
Windows Vista 64bit
ASUS P5KC Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (just upgraded from Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180)
Kingston DDR3 1333 2x2gb
EVGA GTX 460
Antec Trio 650w PSU

I upgraded my CPU today to the x6800. The computer booted up the first time but when i shut it down and tried to boot up it wouldn't POST or load windows. I removed the CPU and inspected it... it seemed fine to me so i reinstalled it and booted up. Same thing again, booted up the first time but when i shut down it wouldnt boot the second time. Everything powers up the second time too.. the fans, hard drives... but no post or windows...

jerrypg

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Last time i cleaned out my computer case, which was a few months ago with my old cpu, I took off the cpu fan to clean it thoroughly and i took off my cpu just to inspect it. when i booted it up it wouldnt but up so i took out the cpu again, inspected it and reinstalled it. It booted up just fine every time after that. Other than that incident no.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
might be your mb then aswell hard to say really should see what amuffin has to say about it before we really lead to what it is. if it did it before with your old cpu once it might be your mb but also hard to tell because that was only 1 time as you said

jerrypg

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Okay so I figured it out.. I had an older version of the BIOS so I tried flashing it using asus ASUSUpdate. DO NOT USE ASUSUPDATE. If will fail trying to flash your BIOS and it will basically wipe it out and u will have no BIOS. Had to get a new BIOS chip but with up to date BIOS on it already. This fixed everything. What a headache....