Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Questions for Office computer

Last response: in CPUs
a c 141 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 5:42:51 AM

I wanted to get your thoughts on this. I'm going to be building an office computer for my dad. He is an accountant and this computer will only be for work running office programs like Pensoft, Peachtree, Taxwise and Quickbooks along with MS Office. Should I go with the I5 or the I7? Yes I know the I5 has less cache and no hyperthreading but for those programs do you think the extra cache and hyperthreading would be worth it? Also what motherboard chipset should I get. With my gaming build listed below I got the Z68 because I wanted to overclock. I probably wouldn't overclock with this computer so would it be better to get the p67 over the Z68?

Best solution

a c 184 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 6:02:50 AM

i3-2100, 8gb of ram, and a z68 mobo incase he wants to upgrade to ib.
January 22, 2012 6:17:44 AM

agree with amuffin, your dad probably wont need to upgrade to ib the i3 will be more than enough to handle his needs.

None of those programs are cpu intensive or on any component for that matter.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 7:05:11 AM

you could get a celeron for that stuff and he'd never even notice the difference as long as you get him plenty of ram.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 7:14:22 AM

and an ssd!
a c 141 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 4:17:56 PM

I was going to do the same as my setup probably a 128 SSD for the OS and all important drivers. I was thinking of getting the I3 but I wasn't crazy over the dual core. He has a single core CPU now and it's so slow. It can hardly do anything without freezing up so that's why I was going to go quad core.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 7:41:53 PM

well the i3 is a dual core hyper threaded to 4 cores.
a c 141 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 7:50:26 PM

So would that be two physical cores with two virtual cores? Also how would that compare in performance to a true quad core processor like the I5 or I7?
January 22, 2012 11:21:09 PM

don't be afraid of the dual core especially for a office pc, the system will not crawl not even close.

My laptop has an old duo core in it and still is plenty fast for even gaming. Save money buy an i3, with a z68 mobo and purchase a SSD. Your dad will be happy especially if he is using old tech.

I am in a similar situation with our office computer (it is slow as slow can be), and will most likely be simply purchasing a dell because it is easier.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 22, 2012 11:35:40 PM

My dad still uses his Q9650 and is perfectly happy with it, however he still isn't willing to switch over to ssd's because there is still a potential of an ssd drive droping dead. And every single time you write on it, there is one less write that can be made. Also with windows writing files all the time.....I am still waiting until haswell before I upgrade him to the current stuff.
January 22, 2012 11:38:32 PM

yeah, but ssd are awesome, and you can always have an external or internal backup drive or cloud storage.

a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:05:17 AM

amuffin said:
My dad still uses his Q9650 and is perfectly happy with it, however he still isn't willing to switch over to ssd's because there is still a potential of an ssd drive droping dead. And every single time you write on it, there is one less write that can be made. Also with windows writing files all the time.....I am still waiting until haswell before I upgrade him to the current stuff.

Yea there is a chance that it could die but it seems alot less likley compared to a regular mechanical HDD. The only way I could see screwing up an SSD is if you drop it or hit it with a hammer. I can't say I've heard of to many SSD failures other then sometimes having flaky firmware that causes problems. What do you mean when you said "every single time you write on it, there is one less write that can be made" can't you delete or move files to make room in the HDD if it starts to get to full like a regular HDD?

Is the only advantage of the Z68 over the P67 the upgradabilty to Ivy Bridges? Again there no matter what I end up getting there will be no overclocking on this computer.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:08:58 AM

rds1220 said:
Yea there is a chance that it could die but it seems alot less likley compared to a regular mechanical HDD. The only way I could see screwing up an SSD is if you drop it or hit it with a hammer. I can't say I've heard of to many SSD failures other then sometimes having flaky firmware that causes problems. What do you mean when you said "every single time you write on it, there is one less write that can be made" can't you delete or move files to make room in the HDD if it starts to get to full like a regular HDD?

Is the only advantage of the Z68 over the P67 the upgradabilty to Ivy Bridges? Again there no matter what I end up getting there will be no overclocking on this computer.

Every time you write something on it, that is one less write you can do. For an example you start off with 1000 writes, and per day windows will write say about 20 times, then in 50 days your ssd won't be able to write any more and may cause problems. Even with compression it is just saving room, not creating more writes.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:12:40 AM

rds1220 said:

Basically imo office computers are all about reliability. You want quality components that are going to last a long time. What are the other parts you are putting into this system? I am also sure your dad would like a system that is pretty quiet so he can work on stuff without being disturbed.
a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:16:58 AM

Yea thats what I was looking for. You're going to have to give me a few minutes I have to find the list I made on New Egg that has all the parts going into this computer build.
January 23, 2012 12:21:00 AM

p67 is suppose to work with ivy bridge as well. However, support will be determined by the manufacturer and their bios updates.

a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 12:22:25 AM

Gigabyte already has bios updates for their z68 boards, for ivybridge. But I am not going to touch any of that stuff until later.
a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:04:42 AM

Case
Cooler master Elite 335 Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU
Intel Core i3-2125 (Although I'm not 100% sold on this yet)

RAM
8 Gigs of Corsair Ram at 1333 MHz

HDD
1 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

SSD
128 GB SSD

PSU
Seasonic 350 Watt 80 Plus Bonze PSU

Asus DVD ROM

Windows 7 64bit OEM

a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:28:16 AM

The ventilation doesn't look that great on that case. I think air movement is more important then sound. The problem is it will be sitting under the desk in a corner. It's kind of hard to explain with out an actual picture or you standing and actually looking at it. It get's air but I think with a 120mm or 140mm fan in front directly sucking in air should help with cooling. Thats the one problem with the computer he has now. The OEM Compaq case has virtually no ventilation and the Pentium 4 runs pretty hot. The CPU starts to get hot pretty fast and when it does the heatsink fan will jump from a little over 1000 RPM to well over 2000 RPM. Plus this computer will most likley be running 24/7 so another reason for good ventilation.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:40:13 AM

rds1220 said:
The ventilation doesn't look that great on that case. I think air movement is more important then sound. The problem is it will be sitting under the desk in a corner. It's kind of hard to explain with out an actual picture or you standing and actually looking at it. It get's air but I think with a 120mm or 140mm fan in front directly sucking in air should help with cooling. Thats the one problem with the computer he has now. The OEM Compaq case has virtually no ventilation and the Pentium 4 runs pretty hot. The CPU starts to get hot pretty fast and when it does the heatsink fan will jump from a little over 1000 RPM to well over 2000 RPM. Plus this computer will most likley be running 24/7 so another reason for good ventilation.

Ask him would you rather have a cooler or quiet pc :) 
a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:44:11 AM

Yea I definitly will. If he wants cooler but louder I'll go with the first case if its the opposite I'll go with the case you listed. I don't know how much you'll really hear though because the fans I was going to get would probably be low RPM and as I said it would be tucked away under the desk.
January 23, 2012 2:49:59 AM

could save some cash (30.00 i think) and get the 2100, 2125 is not much of an upgrade.

I don't think heat generation will be an issue for this build. If your dad cares about silent system you could take the 30 saved from cpu swap and buy the case amuffin suggested. It doesn't really seem that cost is an issue but quiet office PCs are nice.

My fathers dell has had no matenence is on 24/7 and only has one ventilation outake fan.

a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 2:59:39 AM

If possible get noctua fans! :)  ya same snappy fingers my dad has a computer at his work that has been on for roughly 4 years now, the only time it shut off was a power outage. It is a very old system with 1 outtake also.
a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 3:05:34 AM

Ok the only other thing is do you think that PSU is ok. It is Seasonic which does make good quality PSU's and it is 80 plus Bronze certified but its OEM and seems kind of junky.
a c 184 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 3:08:32 AM

rds1220 said:
Ok the only other thing is do you think that PSU is ok. It is Seasonic which does make good quality PSU's and it is 80 plus Bronze certified but its OEM and seems kind of junky.

Seasonic makes pretty good psu's. Try this one its a bit cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 141 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 3:12:24 AM

Best answer selected by RDS1220.
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2012 7:25:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!