... Not as bad as I would've thought-- PSO editorial.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

So here comes this sudden urge to play the first PSO I had gotten as a
birthday present four years ago to the day.

It's a solid game, but I was put off by it in a lot of aspects because
of the online play. Not only did the dial-up irritate me with lag
spikes, but the community was not gentle. It was tough to level a
character up and still be able to pick up dropped weapons, as people
would pick them up before you.

Then the hacking came, and the game lost all integrity online. What was
the point of persuing a higher level and better artillery when hackers
were grabbing these upgrades out of their asses.

My sudden urge to play the game came from nostalgia (remember when
Gamespot TV praised this game? I remember when they were doing a feature
on it and I was actually playing with them at the time, so my
character was on TV) and the love of the music.

I have been neglecting my consoles as of late, so I decided to give this
a whirl again. Got to Level 5 tonight with a HUmar, and did about 9
missions. Pretty fun, and I forgot completely about the sour moments I
had with hackers and whatnot. All the loot is mine, and there's no
complaining about it.

I realize there are some rather unreasonable methods to get your DC
connected and online with PSO (I have version 1), but I'm not willing to
put up the effort. I got to play the hacked PC version of PSO online and
while it was fun for a few weeks, there were cheats being used within
the snap of a finger.

I don't think I'm willing to pay XBL AND Hunter's License fees to play
it on the Xbox. I already dish out $15 a month for World of Warcraft.

So basically, if you feel that losing the online play of Phantasy Star
Online has rendered the game unplayable, I suggest you check out what
you can do offline. The game has a solid engine, and even though the
missions are particularly interesting, it's fun to play it again without
worry.
--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Shinnokxz <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote:
>So basically, if you feel that losing the online play of Phantasy Star
>Online has rendered the game unplayable, I suggest you check out what
>you can do offline. The game has a solid engine, and even though the
>missions are particularly interesting, it's fun to play it again without
>worry.

The only thing I'd add is that PS Offline requires more patience
-- everything, particularly bosses, takes a lot longer when it's just you
killing everything. But I guess since online is hopelessly compromised
with cheaters... =P

--
"_Johann Sebastian Flathead:_ [...] His Symphony #981, the so-called Infinite
Symphony, contained over 60,000 movements; over the course of its only perfor-

benjamin

Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:

> The only thing I'd add is that PS Offline requires more patience
> -- everything, particularly bosses, takes a lot longer when it's just
you
> killing everything. But I guess since online is hopelessly
compromised
> with cheaters... =P

I think the biggest thing is the less numerous enemies which make
leveling up more time consuming than it needs to be. The two Goombas or
whatever that pop up in a room off-line just don't yeild what a room of
six or more on-line would. I also find weapons, items, and meseta tend
to be better and more numerous on-line as well.

I've been playing on a private server the past week or so after getting
someone into the game, and it's fairly enjoyable still, though I think
I don't have the patience to repeat the journey three more times just
for the harder levels and rarer items. I am now interested in Blue
Burst and the new PS2/PC Phantasy Star Universe, but I really wonder if
they add enough to remove the feeling of repetition that comes from
playing.

Benjamin

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Yeah, suddenly this Xbox version looks like a killer deal. Plus it will
get me to use my Xbox Live account, which I haven't used hardly at all.
--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> I don't think I'm willing to pay XBL AND Hunter's License fees to play
> it on the Xbox. I already dish out $15 a month for World of Warcraft.

Well, don't forget that Xbox PSO comes with a two month trial...which, when
you think about it: You get the new version of PSO Ep1, and the all new Ep2,
plus you can play it online, for free, for two months...all for about $15 or
less(as you can buy used copies of PSO Ep1&2 and it'll still work, unlike
the DC versions).

> So basically, if you feel that losing the online play of Phantasy Star
> Online has rendered the game unplayable, I suggest you check out what
> you can do offline. The game has a solid engine, and even though the
> missions are particularly interesting, it's fun to play it again without
> worry.
> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Agreed, I especially like going out of my way to talk to everyone, and find
every "story" disc in the field to get the bits of the story.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

BelPowerslave wrote:

> Well, don't forget that Xbox PSO comes with a two month trial...which, when
> you think about it: You get the new version of PSO Ep1, and the all new Ep2,
> plus you can play it online, for free, for two months...all for about $15 or
> less(as you can buy used copies of PSO Ep1&2 and it'll still work, unlike
> the DC versions).

Does it really? Suddenly the $8.99 price tag for a used PSO Ep 1 and 2
for the Xbox looks really tastey. So say I were to go buy a USED copy,
would I still be able to take advantage of the first two free months?

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> > Well, don't forget that Xbox PSO comes with a two month trial...which, when
> > you think about it: You get the new version of PSO Ep1, and the all new Ep2,
> > plus you can play it online, for free, for two months...all for about $15 or
> > less(as you can buy used copies of PSO Ep1&2 and it'll still work, unlike
> > the DC versions).
>
> Does it really? Suddenly the $8.99 price tag for a used PSO Ep 1 and 2
> for the Xbox looks really tastey. So say I were to go buy a USED copy,
> would I still be able to take advantage of the first two free months?

As far as I know, the two month free trial is only associated with your actual
gamertag....now again, I can't guarantee you that it'd work, but I am pretty sure
it will.

More interestingly, what it brings up to me is this: If you were to have a
two-month trial card for Live(that comes with certain games). If you used that
trial, and then signed up for the two free months of PSO...after both were done,
were you to use another Live two-month trial with another gamertag...could you get
another two months free on PSO? I'm betting it'd work...;)

Bel
--

Shinnokxz wrote:

> Yeah, suddenly this Xbox version looks like a killer deal. Plus it will
> get me to use my Xbox Live account, which I haven't used hardly at all.
> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

PSO is definitely a whole new exp. when you can actually chat with people
via the headset. I really dug it. Robert Holley, Henry LaPierre and a few
others would play it from time to time when we all had sub's going. Still
wish they'd drop the sub. back to DC v2 pricing, the whole $9 for three
months thing...I think I'd still play...

Bel

--

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> BelPowerslave wrote:
>
> > Well, don't forget that Xbox PSO comes with a two month trial...which,
when
> > you think about it: You get the new version of PSO Ep1, and the all new
Ep2,
> > plus you can play it online, for free, for two months...all for about
$15 or
> > less(as you can buy used copies of PSO Ep1&2 and it'll still work,
unlike
> > the DC versions).
>
> Does it really? Suddenly the $8.99 price tag for a used PSO Ep 1 and 2
> for the Xbox looks really tastey. So say I were to go buy a USED copy,
> would I still be able to take advantage of the first two free months?

I was thinkin the exact same thing, I see this used and super cheap all the
time.

Is the rampant cheating a problem only on the older DC servers, or is the
Xbox version completely hacked up as well?

TIA

Wurm

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> > Does it really? Suddenly the $8.99 price tag for a used PSO Ep 1 and 2
> > for the Xbox looks really tastey. So say I were to go buy a USED copy,
> > would I still be able to take advantage of the first two free months?
> >

> I was thinkin the exact same thing, I see this used and super cheap all the
> time.
>
> Is the rampant cheating a problem only on the older DC servers, or is the
> Xbox version completely hacked up as well?
>
> TIA
>
> Wurm

Well, there *is* cheating on the Xbox version...but like v2 on the DC, you can
lock your game down so noone can come in. They based Ep1 v2 off of DC v2(of
course) so it'll still scan your inventory for hacked weapons and
whatnot...though it doesn't matter much as people have found ways to get around
that too. About the only way it's still a pretty enjoyable exp. is if you can
A) invite some friends to join you or B) find some people who are relatively
cool online.

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Benjamin" <bpgalway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> for the harder levels and rarer items. I am now interested in Blue
> Burst

Blue Burst is suppose to be free for download and require you to get HL to
play even for single player side quests since it's online only. There's also
ep 4 which requires purchase from what I heard. Anyway, those info about
NA/oversea release sounds pretty much like how Japanese version is now. I
haven't bought ep 4 yet but tried the free 15 days/lv20 PSO BB trial which
is suppose for Japan domestic only. I thought it was pretty fun(I did have
DC but never really tried to get online so didn't play PSO at all.:) so I
bought the HL about a week or so ago. The only down side is obviously the
interface&text are in Japanese and most of the players are Japanese as
well.(or at least know some Japanese.) So if it wouldn't be as fun to try
the trial if you don't really have any Japanese knowledges at all.(heard
there's Chinese version out there as well... No idea if it's retail already
or whatever though.:)

I might get ep 4 later on but that would be kinda of a waste since there's
suppose to be a 30 days HL with purchase but since I'm already on the
monthly renewal HL via credit card. Since it's online only and your
characters are save at the server, suppose to be alot harder to cheat but
I'm no expert on that so no idea if it's true or not.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> BelPowerslave wrote:
>
> > Well, don't forget that Xbox PSO comes with a two month trial...which,
when
> > you think about it: You get the new version of PSO Ep1, and the all new
Ep2,
> > plus you can play it online, for free, for two months...all for about
$15 or
> > less(as you can buy used copies of PSO Ep1&2 and it'll still work,
unlike
> > the DC versions).
>
> Does it really? Suddenly the $8.99 price tag for a used PSO Ep 1 and 2
> for the Xbox looks really tastey. So say I were to go buy a USED copy,
> would I still be able to take advantage of the first two free months?

Probably not is my guess then again I don't even have an xbox.:)

BelPowerslave wrote:

> More interestingly, what it brings up to me is this: If you were to have a
> two-month trial card for Live(that comes with certain games). If you used that
> trial, and then signed up for the two free months of PSO...after both were done,
> were you to use another Live two-month trial with another gamertag...could you get
> another two months free on PSO? I'm betting it'd work...;)

It probably would, but the save files in Xbox PSO are also associated to
your gamertag (which is why you need an Xbox live account to even play
the game offline).

So you could keep going on like that, but you'd have to start brand new
characters every two months.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> > More interestingly, what it brings up to me is this: If you were to have a
> > two-month trial card for Live(that comes with certain games). If you used that
> > trial, and then signed up for the two free months of PSO...after both were done,
> > were you to use another Live two-month trial with another gamertag...could you get
> > another two months free on PSO? I'm betting it'd work...;)
> >

> It probably would, but the save files in Xbox PSO are also associated to
> your gamertag (which is why you need an Xbox live account to even play
> the game offline).
>
> So you could keep going on like that, but you'd have to start brand new
> characters every two months.

Oh yeah, good call. Well, I guess if nothing else, it'd allow you to completely explore
each of the character classes. ;)

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

yay, story time!

bought PSOv1 DC day it came out for DC. already had a keyboard (free
from AT&T ISP deal - 2nd best dial-up ISP i ever used), and was rarin'
to go.

in the first few months PSO community was wonderful. game shark (for DC
importing along with cheats) was just about to come out 1 month after
PSOs initial release; it took several more months before evil codes were
created and spammed across the universe. the worst people could do was
pick up your weapon and meseta after you died. most people were
incredibly helpful, europe and japan were at peace with american
players, and teamwork was a norm.

having AT&T dial-up i experienced very little lag, but i signed up for
Sega.com ISP soon after getting PSO. when i finished the switch i
experienced next to zero lag (we are talking extremely rare speed and
reliability issues - they were, by far, far further than even AT&T
dial-up, the very best dial-up ISP i have ever used, and i used a lot!
earthlink, aol, juno, netzero, freei, freeinternet, AT&T, sega.com, etc.
on and on i experimented with). with that deal with Sega.com i got my
2nd free DC keyboard (i have 2 dc keyboards, 1 dc controller o_O you
haven't lived until you played Typing of the Dead as a team with a
friend in the room). the isp was so good that browsing with my dc and my
pc was a breeze. in fact i had better 'net reliability at the time than
my friends on cable (y'know, peak hours hell, especially back then.
cable has been getting better, but back then there were the early
evening choke times where they just crashed and disconnected from IM. so
irritating). naturally their speed was faster, but the sega.com isp was
incredibly fast, faster than any other dial-up i've ever used -- and
more importantly, reliable.

well, cheaters came and ruined the game, as we all know. people kept
talking how server side save is really the only way to go online,
because people can't be trusted. the jerks ruined american players'
reputation so bad that japanese players would flee in fear and disgust
pretty much upon the mere entrance of a US player into a lobby or room.
EU players would marginally tolerate us and harbored deep suspicions
that were hard to alleviate. team work evaporated in most US games,
vulgar lobby spamming became the norm, the game went to hell...

from what i hear xbox has voice so you can now hear the vulgar chipmunks
screech their newfound obscenities to the four winds, thank god they put
a block feature on there, though. considering PSOBB (blue burst) is free
from japan, and in about 1-2 months should be in north america for an
equally dirt cheap price i'd just wait and get it for pc. they are
trying to sell liscenses for ep4. so get the downloadable english
version about to come out. atop of that PSOBB is server-side save and
they've been working really hard to kick out cheaters (server-side save
complicates things for most cheaters, most script kiddies haven't the
foggiest idea where to begin to mess with that). from what i hear from
the japanese players and PSO World forums is that most cheating is gone
from PSOBB, there's a few stragglers here and there, but nothing like
the hell psov1 on dc suffered and far cleaner than gc and xbox now
suffers. supposedly there's like 1-2 straggler hackers who are desperate
to mess with those servers. they've had their isps blocked, but are back
with another. even still, it is breathtakingly less than what people
have to suffer now on horrible ships like vega. hopefully when the NA
PSOBB comes out it'll retain being mostly clean, and i think the
server-side saving has much to do with it.

PSO is a great game. one of the best dungeon crawl rpgs i've ever
experienced, with a story ideally placed in the sidelines not to get in
the way of the action. i miss online play, but i still love offline play
-- learning to fight alone helps sharpen your skills and teaches you
valuable tactics of retreat, positioning, self-reliance, etc. things
that caught way too many online characters off-guard because they take
things for granted. also offline i can try alternative strategies
without worry of my learning curve getting in the way and trying to keep
up with a blitzkreig style team. if you haven't played a tech-focused
RAmar, or a melee FOnewearl i suggest you try it, a lot of fun (and
surprisingly powerful if you know what you are doing)!