Your question

Question about choosing graphic cards

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 8:12:41 PM

Hello.

I want to ask for help about a new build.

First of all, I'm a student in college and I plan to use this computer to mainly learn how to use Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush, Adobe products (mainly premiere pro, after effects, flash, illustrator, photoshop.), Animation Master, and some other video and photo editing software. I will not play any intensive games on the new build, probably just some online games from addictinggames and miniclip etc.

I researched online for quite a bit and I'm stuck between a workstation graphic card like quadro and FirePro, and a higher end gaming card like GTX 560 or Radeon 6950/6970. If I'm just learning to use the 3D-apps, will there be a need for me to get a workstation card? I know they will perform alot better than gaming cards on those apps but I'm not doing this for earning money, but just to learn how to use the programs. Would a higher-end gaming suffice for my needs or do I have to go for a workstation card that is way more overly priced?

Another question I have is about the processor. Due to budgeting reasons, I am thinking about a i5-2500 because I don't plan to overclock either, so I'm not getting the k version. I understand that more cores would benefit me assuming the program can take advantage of that but I was recommended an intel sandy bridge i5/7 processor over the AMD X6 because the intels had more "potential". Would getting the cheaper AMD 6-core benefit me more than the intel i5/7 quad-cores for using the programs I mentioned above? I'm not looking at the 6 cores from intel because they are over my ideal budget.

The next question I have is about the RAM. I'm currently thinking about the G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory. I don't know how that will do for my computer but I am open to suggestions as to what type of RAM I should get. Also would 4GB be enough or would a 8GB or higher give me better performance?

My last question is about the case. I prefer full tower cases because I have more room to work in them and they apparently have better airflow with their stock fans than mid towers with theirs. Would there be a point in getting a full tower if my only reasons were more room to work in and more efficient air flow? If no, what mid tower cases would you guys suggest?

Specs: (just incase they affect your suggestions)

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 (Pro or not)

PSU: Corsair AX650 Gold

Mouse/Keyboard: already have

HD: not sure but might get SSD 64 for OS/apps and another WD Green 2TB

or

1TB WD Black

Sorry for my bad english and this is my first time submiting a question so sorry again for any errors I made. Also many thanks in advance!! :) 

More about : question choosing graphic cards

October 21, 2011 8:54:54 PM

mid tower cases are fine . Its just wrong to think bigger cases have better cooling .

2500 or 2600
Z68 motherboard rather than P67
2 x4 gig of RAM

Z68 supports processor functions you will benefit from . It can also use SSD caching which works as a kind of hybrid between a full install on the SSD

dont buy win 7 ultimate unless you actually need the features . If you dont know what they are you probably dont need them !

If your online games are flash based then get the workstation graphics card
m
l
!