Phenom II X4 945 needing new mobo and mem?

rice0140

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys, first time poster. I'm running on 36 hours of no sleep here so please excuse minor typo's :)
I have a two year old custom build running a Phenom II X4 945 at heart.
My current mobo is a ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX, with two 2GB sticks of OCZ DDR3 1600 memory.
long story short, the damn thing was always finicky, would fritz out here and there (HDD and fans would spin, but just idly, no I/O signals of any sort). Got the mobo RMA'd once, got it sent back, worked for almost a solid year, then a repeat. Sent it in a second time, got it back, got it back in, booted, got to the green flashup boot logo, froze, and refuses to boot.
That was roughly 4 months ago. Nothing I've tried has brought my little frankenstein back to life, and ASUS says its not their board, its my CPU (which I am SOMEWHAT doubting, although not ruling out). So, I've decided to switch to plan B.
Plan B is to essentially keep the side stuff, rebuild what I need to. So, I come to you guys, first asking if ANYONE has seen anything like this before (I did a bit of browsing, both mobo and cpu seemed like a good fit, both solid), and if not, if anyone has any recomendations for a new board, memory, etc.
I will reply to this as soon as I'm having a bit of free time from work in the next day or two, but I do hope to see some...well, hope. Heh I dont wanna lose the awesome power of that cpu ><