Sign in with
Your question

New Build, Ie, mozilla firefox, and games crashing

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 9:54:32 PM

I built a new PC and from the get go have had problems with the applications in the title crashing. The only game I have played on it so far is Rift. After a bit, I discovered that the driver for the onboard video was still installed, so I did a clean install of my NVidia driver and that seemed to fix the problem at the time. It greatly reduced the amount of times Rift was crashing. The game will still crash 1-2 times a day, but internet explorer and mozilla firefox are still crashing. I have run tests to check my CPU and GPU heat, and have no problems there. I also have used memtests and my RAM seems to be fine.

On the Microsoft index, everything scores at about a 7.6 except my HD, which scores at 5.9. I am wondering if my problem could have something to do with the SATA port my HD is plugged into somehow? And if this would cause my apps to crash. I am really uncertain at this point, just want to get it all running well before swtor comes out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
CPU: AMD Phenom II six core 3.2 Ghz
MOBO:Asus M5A97 Evo
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX550ti
Using onboard sound
PSU: Thermaltake 750w
HD: Western Digital 2.0 TB Caviar
Kingston DDR3 1600 MHz

The other wierd thing is that I cant run the RAM at 1600, it makes me run it at 1296 MHz through the BIOS or it wont start. And its supposed to go at 1866 OCd, but I cant even get it to run at 1600. It comes up with an error about it being OCd wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
October 21, 2011 10:16:38 PM

Another problem I failed to mention, but very seldomly, 3 times since I did the clean install of the driver about a month ago, my screen goes black and then I get a message in the toolbar that said the device driver failed and has come back up, kernel 260.?? Maybe that has something to do with it too? I know thats a GPU driver error I think, but don't understand why it would still be causing problems. Thanks again.
m
l
!