Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Moderate the GreatGrapeApe

Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 21, 2009 7:39:38 AM

Hello
A couple of my forum peers have registered complanints in the Graphic card and Display section because their threads have been unfarelly locked or banned by The GreatGrapeApe, who is acting pretty much as he wishes. I have asked some simple questions, which he found practically too stupid to post on the forum: I had a thread asking wheter people preffered ATI or NVIDIA graphic cards with a poll, and he shut it down without giving me a reason, to which I reposted it, and then he banned me, after having posted a hatefull message against me. The same has occured with other people. Is there any action that can be taken to at least moderate the moderators?

Thank you very much

A keen forum viewer of tomshardware.com

More about : moderate greatgrapeape

November 21, 2009 7:42:20 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe

* 10-25-2009 at 03:02:50 AM

* MP

More Information

* Member configuration

TheGreatGrapeApe has banned you (Section : Graphic & Displays)

Reason of the sanction : Did you not understand my warning?

Take a day off from the forum, think of a better question, and then come back.

Duration : 1 Days
Add a reply Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages
dadude941

* 10-30-2009 at 03:18:11 PM
* | Hide

Show message

* MP

Youngster
More Information

sorry I don't understand what is wrong with my question...
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message
TheGreatGrapeApe

* 10-30-2009 at 05:15:21 PM
* | Hide

Show message

* MP

More Information

* Member configuration

It's trolling Flame-bait that is a st00pid question.

Have a reason behind A vs B something specific like (which is better for something specific like watching BluRays, or Playing COD or something), not just A vs B.

I also explained that in my original reply when I locked your thread. :hello

Here is the exract from the message he has sent to me. after locking my thread: HOW ON EARTH IS ASKING TO EXPLAIN SOMEBODY'S PREFERENCE BETWEEN ATI AND NVIDIA DUMB?
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 9:19:02 AM

The ape is a damn good mod and forum member, doubt you are going to find much support here.

If you are stupid enough to ask such a question you should probably be removed from this earth yet alone the forums.
Related resources
November 21, 2009 9:28:35 AM

really? have a look in the graphic section, see the number of people that arn't satisfied...
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 11:27:24 AM

Boo hoo, what do want, a cuddle or something?
November 21, 2009 1:37:18 PM

what I want? A forum free of moderators which do not judge their actions through personal choice but through a selective criteria which determines wheter a user's thread is acceptable, not by just blocking it because it was deemed too simple.

That is what I want.
November 21, 2009 1:37:36 PM

or rather what I would like
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 2:21:44 PM

You have to remember that moderating something as diverse as toms cannot be an easy job.

Asking a blatant flame bait topic as ATI vs nvidia is asking for trouble, even someone who has no knowledge of anything in the world and has lived in a cave would know that an open vs question is asking for trouble.

If you had asked something specific it wouldn't ahve been a problem, however, you didn't. You asked something non specific which had no purpose.

You really have no leg to stand on here.
November 21, 2009 2:24:37 PM

Did i put that thread as a question? NO It was a discussion, with a poll in order to find the average preference of NVIDIA graphic cards or ATI cards for diverse reasons: forums arn't only here to anwser specific technical questions
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 3:31:54 PM

Discussion/question whatever, stop dodging the obvious with semantics.

You know fine well what one of those threads are, flame biat.

Now grow up.
November 21, 2009 4:01:44 PM

that little phrase which shows under your post, (i'm a git, deal with it) suits you well.

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 4:09:31 PM

OK, things are much more touchy lately due to whats been happening lately, thereby causing harm to the forums itself.
People have sides sometimes, and those sides are on edge like never before, and from what Im seeing is, a simple question of this vs that often blows up into a flame war.
He asking you to include a few reasons facts or something helps prevent this.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 4:46:29 PM

TGGA knows what He is doing. He is a moderator and one aspect of his presence here is to remove flame bait. He does an admirable job of keeping the forum a tech forum and not a romper room for nOObs to go unattended with thier dirty diapers spread all over the forum. A lot of us thank him for his actions.

EDIT for Writer's embellishment.
November 21, 2009 6:52:32 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
OK, things are much more touchy lately due to whats been happening lately, thereby causing harm to the forums itself.
People have sides sometimes, and those sides are on edge like never before, and from what Im seeing is, a simple question of this vs that often blows up into a flame war.
He asking you to include a few reasons facts or something helps prevent this.

And how am I meant to do that if I post a message which he is about to ban me for, leave my computer while he sends me a warning after 15 minutes in which he will lock my thread if I don't modify, and then ban me?
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 7:39:39 PM

Just like Im doing here now, talking toyou.
Were just people too, talk to us, understand why we do what we do, and try and see if that also makes it better, and if you dont agree, show us why not
November 21, 2009 7:46:26 PM

Look, my point is I don't understand why I got banned for a day because I asked a question... That is why. It ain't incredibly noobish to do a poll to find out wheter ATI or NVIDIA have the most popular graphic card, is it?
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 8:38:40 PM

No Stairway. \,,,/

a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2009 11:53:30 PM

The problem is that X vs Y threads often end up causing a moderation nightmare, and personal attacks start on about page 2 after the initial arguing and trolling by fanboys on page 1. This is why we prefer to prevent them in the first place.

You could have searched for previous threads on basically the same topic too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263161-33-nvidia

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263999-33-nvidia

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249986-33-choose-resp...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261149-33-nvidia

As for the notion of selective criteria, moderation is done according to the ToS, and leniently I might add (or we'd be deleting half the forum).
November 22, 2009 6:39:43 AM

randomizer said:
The problem is that X vs Y threads often end up causing a moderation nightmare, and personal attacks start on about page 2 after the initial arguing and trolling by fanboys on page 1. This is why we prefer to prevent them in the first place.

You could have searched for previous threads on basically the same topic too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263161-33-nvidia

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263999-33-nvidia

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249986-33-choose-resp...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261149-33-nvidia

As for the notion of selective criteria, moderation is done according to the ToS, and leniently I might add (or we'd be deleting half the forum).

OK fine good point I should have looked for more, but why are they still there with their guys unbanned when I got banned 15 minutes after with a warning a minute before my ban?
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 9:10:00 AM

Are you banned?

You seem to be posting alright.
November 22, 2009 10:24:27 AM

I can vouch that TGGA is an excellent mod and if you annoyed him then take your medicine, move on, and help others by contributing something positive to the forums.

TGGA is very good on the knowledge questions at different resolutions wrt graphics card choices and Iv'e found him helpful.

I'd like this thread deleted please.

If a user has a gripe with a mod they should raise it to the mods ... not here in the forums.

Oh ... and get rid of that randomizer guy while your at it ... the filthy hippy !!!!

heh heh ...
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2009 11:13:38 AM

Get rid of all convict filth I say.
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2009 3:17:30 AM

Since it looks like you are a new user, a ban may have been a little rough. In the future be a little more careful about the threads you start. Ask specific questions, 'who is better' threads usually just turn into flaming. He probably thought you were trying to be annoying.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 5:09:59 PM

Agree with stranger,EXT,random et al.

If it weren't for mods like TGGA the Forums will be flooded by stupid people like you (@OP). We'v had MANY MANY threads about ATI vs nVidia that turned in to ugly flame wars after the first 5-6 posts.

If I was TGGA I would have banned you for 999 year, I have little patience with people trolling and posting flame bait. It's people like you who have pushed many people away from these Forums (for example Zorg, Comp,etc).
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2009 5:14:17 PM

I noticed Comp's temp guide is gone. He's gone with it?
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 12:39:28 AM

He removed it as well as himself (well he's off active duty so to speak) for personal reasons.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 2:37:35 AM

I came across a thread on another forum the other day where you, comp and the guy who created Real Temp were engaged in conversation. This forum is fast becoming void of any semblance of what it was in past years. Tom's is becoming kind of 'creepy new' for lack of better words. What a bad idea. Trash the old site and develop this landfill of nOObs. It's liike a fake of what Tom's was known for. Bad idea. This place will go belly up. What a bunch of genius'. Tom's only competition is theirself. Stay classy Tom's hardware.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2009 3:49:39 AM

Well that would probably be XS. But Comp doesn't post there often.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 11:04:01 AM

come on guys, he may be a bit noob and could have been afforded a simple explation of the situation rather than having a bunch of guys jumping down his throat!

Am almost surprised he carried on responding here - some of these responses would have put many people off ever coming back to this forum - later he may turn into a great contributor - who knows :) 

Everyone has to start somewhere...
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 3:49:37 PM

^ If it puts off people like hime from comming back I'm fine with that.
January 15, 2010 3:52:59 AM

Can we delete this thread now please?

Mods ... feel free to purge some of the crud like this will you?

I personally wouldn't want threads hanging around with my name in lights thanks.

It's a ToS courtesy.
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2010 3:57:09 AM

I'd have deleted it ages ago but I can't in this section.
January 15, 2010 8:43:20 AM

PM Justin ... this sort of thing isn't on mate.

Also, the guy who got into a spot of bother has probably forgotten, moved on, that thats the end of it.

Taking care of this sort of stuff is important.

That way I stand some chance of getting a best answer by keeping you busy with this sort of stuff.... heh heh
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 5:00:02 AM

Closing thread... it's run its course. -r_manic
!