[New Build] help with psu and review my system

djscompton

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Selling my old system and replacing the whole thing. I do alot of gaming (BF3) and just generally use my comp quite a bit.
Here is what i plan on getting:

CPU: Intel 2500k 3.3 Ghz (already have)
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 (already have)
MeM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (already ordered)
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D 1TB 7200 RPM
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
Mon: Asus ML238H 23" LED LCD 1920x1080
DVD: Sony DVD RW

My plan is to eventually SLI GTX 570's so i wanted to make sure that PSU is well capable of that. The other PSU option i was looking at was the Antec 900W on newegg. I doubt i will overclock this, perhaps the processor a long time from now. i was initially going for the Haf 912 case and purchase some extra fans for it, but i figured the 922 comes with the fans i would end up buying. As far as a motherboard goes, i really prefer gigabyte and i want the z68 series. But i don't care for the mSATA stuff that it comes with and would be open to an option within 20 bucks or so of that one with sli and such. 23" is the size of monitor i was really wanting and would like it to be LED and to play everything at 1920x1080. i really just wanted to make sure that monitor is going to be fine for gaming without lag or anything. i plan on ordering everything within a week. I would be open to other options as long as they are within a close (20 bucks or so) price range on newegg, cuz that's where i plan on ordering everything. Thanks for any help.

madmonkeymusic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I have almost the exact same system which I built last spring and am very happy with it. I have a single GTX 57- and for gaming on a screen that size the frame rates are fine. The one suggestions I have is trying to get a solid state boot disk for your OS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153,
should work nicely. At the time I bought the vertex 2 80 gig and I liked the extra room to put my favorite games on. The difference between the speed of that vs mechanical is huge. The difference between high and low end SSD is pretty small so you might find an even better deal.
If your looking to save some money to put toward it, there are some budget cases that are pretty decent but not very sexy looking
I use the rosewell challenger
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
It would be a bit cramped with SLI but the case is big enough and it's not a very long card. It comes with the basic fans. I overclock mildly and do not have any heat issues.
Not sure about the PSU choice. there are some calculators out there but they tend to disagree with each other so maybe run through a few of them.
Maybe some of the veterans can chime in on that

I do like everything you picked out and I would go with the Antec 900w psu , I have always used Antec and they are very dependable. The SSD idea is a valid one as I have done the same thing , if your budget allows it then it would be a good thing to do.

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $203.99 and a $30 rebate =$173.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

This SSD is currently out of stock but they are due to restock on 10/24 , and the read/write speeds are very fast and I have the 180gb version which I am very happy with. Put the OS and your current game on it and you will like the performance boost that you get with a SSD. One other thing is the heatsink/fan , Cooler Master came out with an upgraded model of the Hyper 212 and it looks good ;

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible $33.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

Only $8 more and it has two fans.

djscompton

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
i plan on getting an ssd in the future i just didn't want to go for it yet. i've seen the difference it makes and i totally think its worth it, i just want to wait until i can get a larger one for a decent price. Maybe when i can get 200ish gig for <150 bucks. Surely that will be awhile, but i also remember getting my 120 gig WD for $120 and it was a good deal haha.

i do like the idea of that other HSF because i was considering ordering another fan anyway for the 212. The main reason i was going for the 212 is because i seem to see people using it everywhere on forums and such. After reading the reviews on that 520 it looks like its easier to install, which was my main concern with the 212. So i think i'm leaning to that one. what do you think about the v6?