PC Restarts And Freezes

joebeaven

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. My C drive is a 500GB WD Caviar Blue and my motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E SLI.

Last night my computer restarted unexpectedly and after that it kept going to BSOD, restarting of freezing, usually before Windows had finished loading.

I've tried running checkdisk 5 or 6 times, but every time it's frozen restarted or gone to BSOD before completing.

I've tried loading my Windows 7 system repair disc several times but my computer's always frozen or restarted before completing any repair.

I've tried inserting a new Seagate hard drive and restoring from my back up on an external drive using Acronis TrueImage Home 2010 three times, but the computer was unable to detect my external hard drive despite trying several USB ports and the screen always froze at some point anyway.

Please can someone suggest what I can do to get the computer working again?

Thanks,
Joe

Wow OK, that'a quite a few errors. Your RAM seems to be bleeding voltage. This can not be fixed unfortunately, you will have to replace the RAM.

I am assume it is DDR2?

EDIT : Please note; it could be the mobo DDR slots too, so I would suggest borrowing RAM from another PC for a test. Run Memtest twice just to be sure.

joebeaven

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I have four RAM slots and four RAM sticks. I've tried each stick in each slot one a a time. I haven't got any more compatible sticks of RAM. Is it worth buying some or does it look like it's a problem with the motherboard? It is DDR2.

I don't seem to be able to get it to run Memtest again. At the moment when I switch it on it doesn't make the usual beep when I first turn it on and the monitor stays on standby.

OK yes definitely the mobo then, no way that four sticks could fail.

The problem now is that you may struggle to find 775 socket boards and they will be DDR3, not DDR2. You may want to consider upgrading to ivy brigde.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Before you go and buy a new motherboard I would try a different power supply, Borrow a known good power supply from a friend, or if you have an extra one on hand to make sure, also check for bad capacitors on the motherboard.

joebeaven

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I didn't have a spare PSU or know of one that I could borrow, so I just went ahead and installed a new motherboard and everything's working fine now.

Thank you very much for your help.