Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Won't Turn On. I've Tried Everything.

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2011 10:51:19 PM

Hello, I am really struggling to get my new build to power on. The only thing it will do is spin up the PSU and CPU fan for about 1-2 seconds then shut off. I've replaced the PSU, Motherboard, and Processor. I tried known working RAM out of a different PC and same result. I've done all this testing with a basic build outside of the case. So only thing in the motherboard is the CPU and RAM. The only power plugged into the motherboard is the CPU power and Motherboard power. The only other thing plugged in is the power switch from the case. To me that's the very last possible thing that could be wrong with it. Is it possible that the power switch cable on the case is bad? Thanks.

Here is my build.

More about : build turn

a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 11:02:37 PM

Does it start alright from shorting the power jumpers?
its not unheard of for a case switch to be the cause of hairloss :p 
Moto
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:09:56 PM

Well I just tried using the power switch from my working computer and same result...

I honestly am completely lost. Do I need something else plugged in that would be causing it not to start properly?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 11:24:58 PM

From the testing you've already done, I'd be looking at the mobo being faulty,
check the heatsink is secure and look for any oddness on the board, badly trimmed pins on the back etc,
if you have swapped everything out, its the only thing left it could be, have you tried your other gear in another pc at all?
Off to bed now but I'll check back in the Am
Moto
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:26:08 PM

If you used a extension cable to reach your CPU feed, get rid of it and move the main CPU power over the mobo to the connection near the CPU.

Unplug everything not absolutely critical to your build. You need to understand that the tiniest of shorts is enough to stop the show.

Does your motherboard show a light? Most usually do when off.
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:32:38 PM

I have no extensions plugged in. Just all direct connections. From my PSU I have the CPU and Motherboard power plugged in and that's all. I only have the CPU, heatsink/fan, and RAM plugged in the motherboard. I only have the power switch plugged in on the motherboard control panel. I have the motherboard and PSU outside of the case.

Also I don't see any lights coming on but I also doing see any place for lights on the board.
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 21, 2011 11:47:17 PM

w1nks said:
Hello, I am really struggling to get my new build to power on. The only thing it will do is spin up the PSU and CPU fan for about 1-2 seconds then shut off. I've replaced the PSU, Motherboard, and Processor. I tried known working RAM out of a different PC and same result. I've done all this testing with a basic build outside of the case. So only thing in the motherboard is the CPU and RAM. The only power plugged into the motherboard is the CPU power and Motherboard power. The only other thing plugged in is the power switch from the case. To me that's the very last possible thing that could be wrong with it. Is it possible that the power switch cable on the case is bad? Thanks.

Here is my build.

Do you have a video card in the motherboard as well when trying to boot.
m
l
October 21, 2011 11:48:10 PM

Nope no video card. Nothing is plugged into the I/O area either.
m
l
October 22, 2011 7:11:11 PM

So I did a little more testing today. Even when I pull the RAM out and do it with no RAM in it starts up for a few seconds and shuts off. If I flip my power switch cable on the motherboard panel so it's facing the other (switch the + and - ends) it still starts up for a few seconds and shuts down.

Here is a couple of pictures of how I'm testing it.

Do you see anything I'm doing wrong or can try? Thanks.
m
l
October 23, 2011 12:45:33 AM

Well, if that is all there is... your PSU is bad.

I tried a cheep PSU once, the computer within two months would do the same before I replaced it with a proper PSU.

The only other thing I can think of is either blown capacitors on the board or god forbid busted or bent pins under your CPU inside the socket itself.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 12:47:14 AM

He's tried with a known good psu,
that leaves the Mobo
Moto
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:03:29 AM

Well I've never tried a known good PSU. At first I thought the issue was the motherboard so I sent that back and got a new one and had the same issue. So I thought it was the CPU or PSU at this point. I didn't have time to send them back individually since I only have 30 days so I sent them both back. So with the different CPU and PSU in I get the same issue. If you check my first you can see the parts I'm using. The PSU, CPU, and motherboard all have decent ratings. What would be your next recommendation? Maybe trying to get a hold of a different PSU for testing?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 1:11:06 AM

I thought you said in Op, aah wait you said you'd replaced it, my bad and apologies to Heavy for biting his head off :p 
Ok, I know this may be a little annoying, but go through this
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
Sections three and four, triplecheck everything you've plugged in, looked at or moved, there has to be something here that we're missing, does the house powerpoint work ok with other stuff?
Moto
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:17:41 AM

I looked through that post and it looks like I'm alright with all that stuff. The power should be fine. I tried it in a couple different places in the house even though I've never had problems with any of them before.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 1:24:55 AM

I'm stumped man, everythings lpugged as it should be, everythings been replaced/ checked and still no life?
psu plugged into surge protector or ups or anything?
I am totally at a loss I'm sorry to say, post the rig to me and I'll kick the damn thing back to you
Psu fuse ok? (Grabs at straw :p )
Moto
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:34:39 AM

Nope, directly plugged into the wall. I think I will try to get a known good working power supply and try that out. If that doesn't work maybe see about getting another replacement motherboard from the manufacturer. Thanks for the help though. Really appreciated!
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 10:47:10 AM

/Fingers crossed for you on a known good psu mate :) 
Moto
October 23, 2011 8:37:55 PM

I think I found the problem. It looks like it was the power supply.

I tried hooking up my motherboard to my HTPC's power supply and using the HTPC case power switch and it worked. I then tried using the new case power switch and also worked. So only thing left is the power supply. Looks like I will need to RMA through Corsair and get a new one.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
October 23, 2011 8:38:04 PM

Best answer selected by w1nks.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2011 11:13:55 PM

No problem mate, glad you got sorted ok and thank you for B.A.
Moto
m
l
!