Solved

Laptop's RAM

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Laptops
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
November 22, 2012 8:13:36 AM

So I had a laptop which by default, has one of the slot occupied with a 2 GB stick.
Would it be a problem if I fill the 2nd slot with a 4 GB stick?

Note : The only reason I'm asking this because I rarely ever heard people suggesting 6 GB RAM. They always suggest 4 or 8 GB. Which makes me inclined to believe that there is something wrong with 6 GB.

More about : laptop ram

a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2012 8:20:10 AM

The 6GB issue is only relevant on desktops running duel channel mode. You need 2, 4, 8, 16, 32GB configs to benefit from duel channel performance. Tri channel board, older I7 socket 1366, you need 3, 6, 12 etc to benefit from tri channel performance.

BUT laptops do not have ANY duel or tri channel configs, so 6 GB is perfect for you if you only have one slot available.

Get a 4GB stick. Just check that your laptops support a single 4GB chip.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2012 8:35:42 AM

My laptop does have dual channel.

I'd suggest you to check the product specifications of your laptop, you'll find the extension options there (maximum size of total memory/memory sticks).

If it supports 8GB in dual channel, you'd be best off buying a pair of 4GB ones. Or just one 2GB, so you'll end up with 4. I'd rather have 4 in dual channel than 6 in single channel, but it depends.

Oh, btw, you do know that you'll need to use a 64 bit operating system if you want to use 4GB or more memory, don't you.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 12:44:24 PM

"DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 2 GB, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM"

That's what I got from ASUS's web.
Is it capable of dual-channel?

Is dual channel really worth it? How much of a difference will I witness, or will it be negligible?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2012 12:49:49 PM

zhou luke said:
"DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 2 GB, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM"

That's what I got from ASUS's web.
Is it capable of dual-channel?

Is dual channel really worth it? How much of a difference will I witness, or will it be negligible?

Depending on the processor, up to 10% in certain operation. Anything that is memory intensive.

What laptop is it? I doubt it can run duel-channel.
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:01:18 PM

It's ASUS A43SD of the A43 series.

If my intention is to able to open many applications (adobe photoshop, adobe audition, 3d games)at once, while browsing, and playing music and also emulator, is 6 GB better?
m
l
November 22, 2012 1:09:28 PM

If you're using the Adobe Suite, you'll want as much memory as possible if you do any kind of intensive or professional work.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
November 22, 2012 1:42:01 PM

zhou luke said:
It's ASUS A43SD of the A43 series.

If my intention is to able to open many applications (adobe photoshop, adobe audition, 3d games)at once, while browsing, and playing music and also emulator, is 6 GB better?

Yes for multitasking more RAM is better instead of duel channel anyway. Even if your laptop could run duel channel.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
November 22, 2012 2:05:41 PM

I couldn't agree more. 6GB in single channel beats 4GB in dual channel at the moment more than 4GB memory is needed by the system and the programs.

If I were you, I'd still shoot for the 8GB, and get the best from both worlds.

Hey, if you know a friendly computer shop, you can take your laptop in, put in a 2GB module, or two 4GB modules , and check if dual channel works. If it doesn't, and 6GB is enough for you, then buy only one 4GB module.
If the shop doesn't want to help you with this, then it's not a friendly one. :p 

BTW, you can use the 30-day version of "Everest" software to check if you are using dual channel:

Hey, now that I see this screenshot, I had the idea, that it will tell you, if dual channel is supported, even if you have only one memory module at the moment. That Memory Controller "Type" field seems to be the one you need to check out (and "Active Mode" should be the one to show the actual situation).
November 23, 2012 2:20:03 PM

Thank you everyone! I got my answer!
m
l
November 23, 2012 2:20:13 PM

Best answer selected by zhou luke.
m
l
!