Pcie 1.0 x 16 and pcie 2.1 x 16

biscottiman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
so i am looking into buying a radeon hd 6850 i am going to be building an entire new computer soon but dont have enough money for the entire project. However for now i would like to buy the graphics card i am going to put in the new computer and put it in the computer i am using at the moment (yes i know it will not run at full capacity and seems like a waste of money at the time) but i was wondering if it would work in a PCIe 1.0 x16 and then i would move it to a PCIe 2.0 x16 when i have money for the new computer.

I have tried doing some research on this and even called a local computer store but i could not get a definite answer.

will this card work in my old computer?

-biscottiman

There is no definite answer. It may work or it may not. You won't know until you try. Googling for PCI-E 2.1 plus your specific motherboard model may give you some idea. It's also possible your board has a BIOS update that deals with any issues.

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I have a similar situation over here , read my threads in the forum ...even i m about to buy a HD6850 and my mobo has only PCIe1.0x16 slot.... have you bought the card ? Please do respond.... I m fed up and desperate for an answer :(

In most cases it seems that a PCI-e 2.1 card will work in a PCI-e 1.x slot. However, there have been cases where it doesn't work at all.

Look for a BIOS update for your motherboard. If there is one then look to see if it mentions anything about PCI-e 2.1. If there is no updated BIOS or no mention of PCI-e 2.1 support, then the only way to find out is to actually buy the card and install it.

If the PCI-e 2.1 card does work, then great!! If it does not work, then you need to return the card for a refund. Newegg is a good place to buy since they have really good customer service and often offers free shipping on certain products. However, you will have to pay the shipping cost to send the card back to them if it comes to that.

I have a HD 5670 2.1 card in 1.0A slot in my Dell mobo with Intel Q965 Express chipset

It is dependent on the chipset of the mobo
Some chipsets work better than others with 2.1
What is the mobo make, model and chipset if you know it?
It is possible to Google the Chipset model and see if people have gotten newer cards
to work

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

What about a g35 chipset ? My mobo is an intel DG35EC and lookin forward to buy a HD 6850

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

I ll surely post if it works out the right way . Can you suggest me any mobo that supports LGA775 socket(45nm processor) ? I can spend around a 100 bucks in case my present mobo doesnt work .. :)

Sorry I didnt get back to this thread sooner

What did you buy the HD 6850 or a mobo
or both?

From the sound of your post
I think you bought the GPU

Just make sure to check temps with AMD Catalyst Control Center
or something like GPU-Z

The first week I have a new card
I am nuts about watching its temp
also programs like Furmark (just google)
are good for testing
I dont think it is a good idea to run it for 24 hours like some do
but running the GPU at %100 usage for a couple of hours
is a good way to test especially while you are still in return timeframe or able to RMA
I worked for Radioshack for 8 years and I found out that when you get an electronice
item
It is good to "torture test" it while still able to return it
If an electronic item can handle being on and made to run at 100 percent
for extended time periods then it is safe to assume their isnt any major defective
components
for example if I get a dvd player
I will run disks constantly thru it without watching them
for a few days
this way if it makes it through that it will probably last awhile
sorry for rambling :)

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

No probs dud :)
I have just placed an order for the ASUS HD 6850 with a local dealer and i should probably be getting it by the next midweek or so ... and i haven't ordered a new mobo and i mentioned about my micro ATX case just in case i needed a new mobo if the card doesnt support my present mobo.... Thanks a plenty for your time

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Congrats mate :)
Can you mention what your mobo is and can you post some GPU-z screen shots involving your new videocard ???

scapegoat_44

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Sure man...i ll keep you posted

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I have an XFX Radeon HD 6850 and it's currently in a PCIe v1.X. It should work.