Sign in with
Your question

Static/popping sound w/ SBLive

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2001 9:17:19 PM

I've had this problem for some time now. When I am running graphic intensive 2D programs, especially The Sims and Alpha Centauri, the sounds (both music and SFX) produce a nasty popping noise, like static, on my speakers. I have a SB Live! (regular, nothing special) that has performed well so far.
I've read somewhere that this may be caused by either my DMA drivers or my video card causing a conflict (I have a Viper 550, Nvidia TNT based, AGP). I suspect the video card, because the problem seems to get worse every time I install an updated video driver. Anyone else have this problem, or have any advice? I'm getting a new video card next week, so hopefully the problem will be moot by then :)  Thanks!
January 13, 2001 12:33:42 AM

Its not your video card. Its your SBLive and your VIA chipset. You do have a VIA chipset board right? And I'm willing to bet you also have a socket 7 motherboard right?
If I am right about these things, here is the bad news, there is nothing you can really do to fix this problem for your current board.

Here is what you can do. You can get a socket 7 board based on a different chipset like the Asus P5A board based on the ALi chipset.
The other thing you could do is get a socket A board and a Duron or Athlon. The chipset on these boards doesn't seem to have this problem.

Let me know if I am way off base about your systems motherboard.

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2001 2:37:18 AM

My friend, you're right on the money. I do have a VIA chipset and a socket 7 board (amazing how little I know and how much others do know!)
Well, I just shelled out $120 for a new video card, and I'm not replacing much else in my system until I get a new one next year, so I guess I am S.O.L. and I have to put up with crappy sound in my games. Wish I had known about this before I bought this combination of hardware.
Thanks for your help!
!