Phenom II X4 Discontinued?

Austiin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I'm planning to build an AMD Bulldozer rig over the summer, but I've read that the Phenom II line is much better suited for gaming. However, I've also read that AMD has stopped manufacturing Phenom IIs (also hinted by newegg's lack of Black Edition Phenoms). I was originally planning to use a FX-6100, but later found out a Phenom II X4 975 BE is the same price. So will the Phenom II quad core line completely disappear by this summer? And is the FX-6100 really that much worse than any Phenom II X4?

I would say that the supply of Phenom II CPUs will dry up long before summer especially since there are shortages now. It's not surprising that Athlon II and Phenom II CPU are discontinued after the release of the FX series. It's expensive to maintain 3 different production lines to produce 3 different CPU. That excludes the Llano APUs which would make production line #4.

It's best to Google reviews of the FX-6100 and read thru them to get an answer to your question. Also, Piledriver is coming out this year and hopefully that will correct some of the performance issues Bulldozer has. If you are going to wait until summer, then you might as wait until Piledriver reviews and benchmarks hit the web.

Yes the Phenom II has been discontinued, AMD announced that a couple months ago. Clock for clock the Phenom II out performs the Bulldozer which is pretty pathetic since the Phenom II is the older CPU. As for wheather the Phenom will still be around by summer I would say no. If anything they will be gone by spring. Many of the PhenomII's are already gone and deactivated on major websites like New Egg and Tiger Direct. If you're going to wait until summer then just wait for Pile Driver to come out. I really wouldn't even bother with the Bulldozer.