Psu problem?

ako118

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
hi,

having a problem! i have a 1000watt psu, but the thing is so loud! it has an 80mm fan that is the problem! i was going to install a quiter 80mm fan, but from what ive read even if i did it would still sound the same?
so i decided to go for a new psu, i dont need a 1000watt to power my system ( q6600 quad core cpu, geforce 560ti 2g graphics card, xfi soundcard).
i was informed a 750watt would do the job!
i bought said 750watt psu, installed no problem untill i realised it only had a 4 pin and 24 pin power connector ( i have 24 and 8 pin)
but i did read you could still run with a 4 pin in an 8 pin connector!

computer ran ok for about 15 min then strange things happened! first it started to freeze, no error message, just freeze! then my monitor would go blank put power still on! i could not switch monitor off!?

i had to unplug montor all the time! then plug it back in. the thing is my monitor is not connected to my pc, it goes to my adapter ( same one pc power cable plugged into).

750watt psu should be ok for my rig as i was advised!? do i need a 8 pin adapter? why does the monitor do that strange thing?

could anyone shine any light on my problem?

regards

tlmck

Distinguished
You did not mention any brand names of the PSUs you bought. If it is not 80 plus certified, take it back and get one of those. A 750 watt certified will be fine. the description will look something like this. "750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply".

Non certified PSUs are not necessarily the wattage they claim, and a 750 watt without an 8 pin(sometimes will be called a 4+4 pin) 12 volt CPU connector these days means that it is an older standard ATX style power supply. The newer kind have the EPS designation and would include the 8 pin connection you need.

There is no adapter, and the issue is that the quad core needs the 8 pin power connector. If you had a lesser processor such as a 65 watt dual core, the 4 pin would probably still work.

If you could list a web site or brands and model number available to you, I could help select a proper power supply for you.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
only buy power supplies from companies like ocz,corsair antec

only buy from bigbrand companies, look for the 80 plus gold certificiation

its useless to consumers but it proves that there power supplies are good quality.

you cant tell the wattage of a psu just from the big number on the front of the box

i had a 600watt in old pc. on the 12v rail it outputted 20a. in other words

it would only output around 240watts to the motherboard

watts = voltage*current

look at the side of a power supply box to work it out

motherboards,cpu's and graphics cards are powerd by 12v

its explained quite well on antec's site here

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/PSU/

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

if you dont understand why you need a certain item then ask yourself this, am i qualified to actually choose this item

if you dont fully understand something dont be afraid to ask

a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
The actual manufacturer is often just as important, if not more so, than the company that is selling the unit. Some of the Antec units, I wouldn't recommend. There isn't always a 1:1 correlation to 80+ Gold rating and quality. However, the more efficient the unit is the less heat, and therefor the less stress on the components.

The 4 pin can't run a motherboard that needs the 8 pin, the reverse is what can be done.