Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade my CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2012 6:43:56 PM

I am thinking about upgrading my Gaming Computer sometime in June... right now I have an Athlon II x3 455 and a Radeon HD 6870. I think my CPU is starting to get a little out dated, but what do you think? Should I upgrade my CPU? If so what CPU should I get?

More about : upgrade cpu

a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 6:49:14 PM

Yes, I used a AII 440 @ 3.3Ghz and it was giving bad FPS, but when I upgraded, wow!

What is your budget and current build? PSU, RAM, Case, HDD, Optical, things that you can keep in the next build if they are still good.

As of now, the 2500k is the best bang for buck if you plan on OCing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 6:50:34 PM

Sorry, did see the rest of the build. :/ 

I would add 4gb more RAM, keep the case, optical, HDD, GPU, and sell the board and CPU and then grab a 2500k paired with a decent p67/z68 board.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2012 7:20:06 PM

HostileDonut said:
Sorry, did see the rest of the build. :/ 

I would add 4gb more RAM, keep the case, optical, HDD, GPU, and sell the board and CPU and then grab a 2500k paired with a decent p67/z68 board.

Where would be a good place to sell?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 9:14:21 PM

Penley54 said:
Where would be a good place to sell?

Ebay or Craigslist are fine. Just somewhere online.
m
l
January 22, 2012 9:23:21 PM

Tbh, there isnt much point in buying a new MoBo. Your current one can still support one more upgrade before having to change due to being outdated.

The FX 8 series would do wonders and you could later buy a new GPU which you can then carry onto your next rig.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 22, 2012 9:26:10 PM

ChosterF said:
Tbh, there isnt much point in buying a new MoBo. Your current one can still support one more upgrade before having to change due to being outdated.

The FX 8 series would do wonders and you could later buy a new GPU which you can then carry onto your next rig.

The FX-81xx is terrible for games! It won't be much of an upgrade form his current CPU as the performance per clock is better on the AII and most games won't use more than 4 cores! The 2500k is the way to go if you are spending that much money. The FX-81xx CPUs are for multitasking, not gaming.
m
l
!