November 22, 2012 4:50:30 PM

Hello,
Dell XPS 400 wont boot blinking amber power light and diagnostic light 1 only

i've shuffeled the memory sticks to no avail

i woulg be greatfull for any advice

More about : dell xps 400 wont boot blinking amber power light diagnostic light

a c 435 V Motherboard
November 22, 2012 8:55:20 PM

Either the board or power supply is bad. If the board is a btx format, then it's time for a new system. Frys has some for $228 tomorrow if you live in the usa.
m
l
November 24, 2012 1:54:21 PM

I'm having the same issue on my XPS 400. Blinking amber light and sometimes the display shows code 2 and sometimes 2 and 4. I've tried removing every connection and hooking them all back up 1 at a time. Nothing. Then I took a multimeter and found that the voltage from my PSU is completely off. Instead of the 12v, 5v and 3.3v I am showing 14.2v, 6.2v and 4.3v.

With that said, is it pretty much a sure thing that its my PSU is causing me issues? When the amber light blinks my computer still has all fans running, just doesn't boot up.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 3:17:12 PM

o1die said:
Either the board or power supply is bad. If the board is a btx format, then it's time for a new system. Frys has some for $228 tomorrow if you live in the usa.

How can I tell which it is .... there is still a green light on the motherboard ..... should I assume that it is getting power from and operating power supply unit?

I don't know what a btx format is

I've ordered a data recovery cable to try to get my files while I figure this out

http://www.ClearClickSoftware.com
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:13:10 AM

o1die said:

How can I tell which it might be?
m
l
!