Problem with Ion card in my emachines desktop

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello,
Ok i got the emachines 1300G-01W has the onboard Nvidia graphics GE6150SE/Nforce430 Well I bought a Zotac Ion graphics card with 64-bit interface just the 512MB PCIE cause the motherboard only had a PCIE x1 slot on it.So figured this would be ok for a cheap upgrade..Ok got installed except when I turn the computer on I get no signal to the monitor until it gets to the Welcome screen of windows than the Ion kicks in and starts giving me a picture on the monitor..until than I have to hook into the on board VGA connection to see the boot screen and everything..Can anyone give me an idea of what is happening..Oh am using windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit just so you know

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I checked the bios as I have read other places as an option but no there is no option for any of that in the bios....there if the frame buffer but you can only set that on 32MB up to 256MB or auto..which I found that auto is the best setting cause that takes away from the onboard graphics completely...other than that there is no options in the bios ..I even tried to disable the onboard card but that did not work either..I now sort of have it working...I installed the standard VGA driver in place of the onboard card..and managed to be able to get signal to the monitor all the way through the boot up on a DVI connection..but no VGA and unable to test the HDMI only because I don't have a cord for that..will try it after I get a cord.. anyway that is where it stands now..Hoping someone will come up with something that will get everything working on it..

On an emachines, you may not have that option, they are cheapo systems with cheapo BIOS settings. No offience :) you probably knew that when you got it. It may just rely on the BIOS to detect what card is where and set up the display automatically.

Can you explain a bit what is happening now with the card? Not sure what is working now or not. Are you saying that now the add-on card works from BIOS screen on, but only on DVI? And that VGA only works when Windows loads? Or something else? If you have DVI, and it works, I'd stick with that. You will get a cleaner image that way anyway.

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I finally after like a week of messing with it..I finally have it so I get a picture all the way through startup and when windows loads but only with DVI...I can use the card only with DVI...I would like to be able to use it with any of the three connections but so far this is much better than a week ago..at least it works with DVI all the way through..VGA does not work at all on it..and as I said I have no idea about the HDMI as I don't have a way to test that right now

And no I did not know anything about emachines when I bought this or else I would have waited and got a better computer....

Oh hey the reason I want to get the VGA working to and not just the DVI is because I will eventually be giving this thing to my mom after I get a new computer and her monitor only has VGA....So I guess I just want to be sure everything works on the card

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Oh forgot it also right after the bios part i get a screen that says update success...then it start loading windows...I am guessing that is probablt because it is running on DVI not sure but just a guess