Closed Solved

AMD FX-6100 or FX-8120?

I'm trying to decide between the AMD FX-6100 and FX-8120 cpus and am not sure if I should pay the extra $40 for the 8-core chip or save that $40 for another part. Does having 2 extra physical cores really make a difference in performance? Or am I just going to end up wasting money on the 2 additional cores? Speed wise, they're pretty close to each other.

For reference, here are the 2 cpus in question:

FX-8120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

FX-6100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6100 8120
  1. What do you use the system for?
  2. Go with the 6100, it's higher clocked and no you don't need the other cores so much.
  3. Do you already have the motherboard?
  4. I plan to use the system for simulation-based gaming (like flight simulators).

amuffin, I don't have a mobo yet, I'm gonna be doing this build (it's my first) from the ground up. Was also thinking about AMD's "Scorpius" platform.... any ideas on that as well?
  5. ^^I know where you're going..... Go intel 2500K is as good as it gets for the money.
    -Bruce
  6. geekapproved said:
    Go with the 6100, it's higher clocked and no you don't need the other cores so much.

If clock speed is an important selection criteria, then the FX-4100 should also be considered.
  7. Best answer
    If you don't have the motherboard yet drop the whole AMD plan and go with an I5 2500K. For gaming it's one of the best processors on the market right now. Clock for clock the Bulldozers just can't compete.
  8. The 2500K was my other consideration for doing a build. It seems that the mobos and actual CPUs themselves are a bit more than going with an AMD build. I'm trying to get as much performance out of as little buck as possible
  9. The actual CPU cost more than the AMD CPU's yes. As for the motherboards themselves though you can find Z68 and P67 1155 boards for 75-125 dollars. The same as AMD boards.
  10. rds1220 said:
    The actual CPU cost more than the AMD CPU's yes. As for the motherboards themselves though you can find Z68 and P67 1155 boards for 75-125 dollars. The same as AMD boards.

Ok, as for the chipsets on the mobos themselves, I know that there are boards with H61, H67, P67, and Z68 on them. What is the better overall solution in this case?
  11. Tech_geek23 said:
    Ok, as for the chipsets on the mobos themselves, I know that there are boards with H61, H67, P67, and Z68 on them. What is the better overall solution in this case?

z68, and an i5-2500k will allow you to upgrade to ivybridge.
  12. amuffin said:
    z68, and an i5-2500k will allow you to upgrade to ivybridge.

Is there a good enough reason to just wait for the Ivy Bridge CPUs to come out?
  13. Tech_geek23 said:
    Is there a good enough reason to just wait for the Ivy Bridge CPUs to come out?

Pcie 3.0 in the chipset, however boards already have pcie 3.0 on them.
  14. Go for a 2500k. It is the best bang for buck you can get right now for gaming. For just about anything actually. No boards can actually use the PCI-E 3.0 until Ivy Bridge is out, but you can get a board that will support it and Ivy Bridge when they both come out. I would suggest the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board. I own it and love it. It retails for around $130 after shipping. It has all the goodies that a high-end board would get you at a low cost.

Here is a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&Tpk=asrock%20extreme3%20gen3
  15. HostileDonut said:
    Go for a 2500k. It is the best bang for buck you can get right now for gaming. For just about anything actually. No boards can actually use the PCI-E 3.0 until Ivy Bridge is out, but you can get a board that will support it and Ivy Bridge when they both come out. I would suggest the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board. I own it and love it. It retails for around $130 after shipping. It has all the goodies that a high-end board would get you at a low cost.

Here is a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&Tpk=asrock%20extreme3%20gen3

At microcenter you can get the p67 extreme 4 gen 3 for the same price because of the 50 dollars off mobo! :)
    )
  16. The extreme4 just has a few extra USB 3 things, so I would rather go for the z68 chipset.
  17. Best answer selected by tech_geek23.
  18. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Product