Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my RAM a bottleneck?

Last response: in Memory
November 22, 2012 5:38:30 PM

I don't know a whole lot about RAM and if/when it would be a bottleneck, so I thought I would list my specs here to see if I would see much benefit from buying some new RAM. I would overclock my RAM, but I really have no idea how to mess with the timings and voltage correctly. My specs are as follows:

gtx 660 TI OC PE
i5 3570k @4.4
8 gigs (2x4) DDR3 RAM @ 1600 (G.SKILL Ripjaws)
Windows 7 64 bit

For all I know I am fine, but since my RAM is probably the oldest thing on my system I just want to make sure that I shouldn't take advantage of a Black Friday sale on Newegg for some better memory, more specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I am not entirely sure what gains I would see where with better memory, but that is why I am asking here. Thanks.

More about : ram bottleneck

a b } Memory
November 22, 2012 5:40:47 PM

No. if you have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz there is no bottleneck, not even at 1333mhz.
November 22, 2012 5:45:13 PM

djangoringo said:
No. if you have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz there is no bottleneck, not even at 1333mhz.

I should also mention that the RAM is running @1600, I did go into the bios and make the adjustments needed for that. I mean overclocking past 1600, which is what the RAM is listed as. But thanks for your answer.
Related resources
November 22, 2012 5:52:40 PM

I would say the video card is a semi bottleneck compared to the processor. I doubt it would really matter unless you where a super maximum settings guy. If you don't have a ssd that would probably be a decent upgrade over normal drive.
November 22, 2012 6:18:32 PM

mute20 said:
I would say the video card is a semi bottleneck compared to the processor. I doubt it would really matter unless you where a super maximum settings guy. If you don't have a ssd that would probably be a decent upgrade over normal drive.

Hrm, from what I heard the 3570k is one of the best processors you can get, for gaming that is. I didn't think it would be an overclock at all, especially overclocked.
November 22, 2012 6:27:33 PM

fcdwn777 said:
Hrm, from what I heard the 3570k is one of the best processors you can get, for gaming that is. I didn't think it would be an overclock at all, especially overclocked.

Thats why I am saying you should look to upgrade something else. If you don't have an ssd than you should upgrade that instead.
November 22, 2012 6:29:40 PM

mute20 said:
Thats why I am saying you should look to upgrade something else. If you don't have an ssd than you should upgrade that instead.

Oh, alright. I just recently upgraded to the 660 ti 2bg form a 560 ti 1gb. Since funds are limited, that was the best I could do and I have noticed a significant improvement. I don't have an SSD yet so I suppose I should think about getting one.

Best solution

a c 97 } Memory
November 22, 2012 6:30:19 PM

Faster ram would improve your performance....
By a whopping 1%.
Not much worth it for that.
Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Your ram link does not work for me.

Ram is cheap, and I can see a valid argument for 16gb.
Windows will keep more in ram, available for instant reuse.
For gaming, though, not much help since a game , by itself, will not use more than 2-3gb.
If you do lots of multitasking, or run 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop, then adding ram is a good idea.
November 22, 2012 6:39:06 PM

geofelt said:
Faster ram would improve your performance....
By a whopping 1%.
Not much worth it for that.
Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Your ram link does not work for me.

Ram is cheap, and I can see a valid argument for 16gb.
Windows will keep more in ram, available for instant reuse.
For gaming, though, not much help since a game , by itself, will not use more than 2-3gb.
If you do lots of multitasking, or run 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop, then adding ram is a good idea.

I accidently put a period after the link, thanks for your answer though. very informative.
November 22, 2012 7:16:56 PM

Best answer selected by fcdwn777.
!