Solved

Is my RAM a bottleneck?

I don't know a whole lot about RAM and if/when it would be a bottleneck, so I thought I would list my specs here to see if I would see much benefit from buying some new RAM. I would overclock my RAM, but I really have no idea how to mess with the timings and voltage correctly. My specs are as follows:

gtx 660 TI OC PE
i5 3570k @4.4
8 gigs (2x4) DDR3 RAM @ 1600 (G.SKILL Ripjaws)
Windows 7 64 bit

For all I know I am fine, but since my RAM is probably the oldest thing on my system I just want to make sure that I shouldn't take advantage of a Black Friday sale on Newegg for some better memory, more specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460. I am not entirely sure what gains I would see where with better memory, but that is why I am asking here. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bottleneck
  1. No. if you have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz there is no bottleneck, not even at 1333mhz.
  2. djangoringo said:
    No. if you have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz there is no bottleneck, not even at 1333mhz.

I should also mention that the RAM is running @1600, I did go into the bios and make the adjustments needed for that. I mean overclocking past 1600, which is what the RAM is listed as. But thanks for your answer.
  3. I would say the video card is a semi bottleneck compared to the processor. I doubt it would really matter unless you where a super maximum settings guy. If you don't have a ssd that would probably be a decent upgrade over normal drive.
  4. mute20 said:
    I would say the video card is a semi bottleneck compared to the processor. I doubt it would really matter unless you where a super maximum settings guy. If you don't have a ssd that would probably be a decent upgrade over normal drive.

Hrm, from what I heard the 3570k is one of the best processors you can get, for gaming that is. I didn't think it would be an overclock at all, especially overclocked.
  5. fcdwn777 said:
    Hrm, from what I heard the 3570k is one of the best processors you can get, for gaming that is. I didn't think it would be an overclock at all, especially overclocked.

Thats why I am saying you should look to upgrade something else. If you don't have an ssd than you should upgrade that instead.
  6. mute20 said:
    Thats why I am saying you should look to upgrade something else. If you don't have an ssd than you should upgrade that instead.

Oh, alright. I just recently upgraded to the 660 ti 2bg form a 560 ti 1gb. Since funds are limited, that was the best I could do and I have noticed a significant improvement. I don't have an SSD yet so I suppose I should think about getting one.
  7. Best answer
    Faster ram would improve your performance....
    By a whopping 1%.
    Not much worth it for that.
    Read this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

Your ram link does not work for me.

Ram is cheap, and I can see a valid argument for 16gb.
    Windows will keep more in ram, available for instant reuse.
    For gaming, though, not much help since a game , by itself, will not use more than 2-3gb.
    If you do lots of multitasking, or run 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop, then adding ram is a good idea.
  8. geofelt said:
    Faster ram would improve your performance....
    By a whopping 1%.
    Not much worth it for that.
    Read this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

Your ram link does not work for me.

Ram is cheap, and I can see a valid argument for 16gb.
    Windows will keep more in ram, available for instant reuse.
    For gaming, though, not much help since a game , by itself, will not use more than 2-3gb.
    If you do lots of multitasking, or run 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop, then adding ram is a good idea.

I accidently put a period after the link, thanks for your answer though. very informative.
  9. Best answer selected by fcdwn777.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Bottleneck Product