Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overclocking proformance question

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2012 9:37:56 PM

Will overclocking my cpu (i7 2600k) lead to faster frame rates in modern games like skyrim batlefield crysis 2 ect. even it is far better than the graphics card (560ti). So basically theoretically if I overclocked it to say 4.5 ghz would I get a faster frame rate than when its at 3.4ghz or will the 560ti hold it back and prevent any frame rate increase?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 10:21:22 PM

Hi :) 

No...cpu at that spec will NOT give a framerate increase...Gpus give increases not overclocking a cpu like yours..

All the best Brett :) 
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2012 10:58:41 PM

considering your specs would you mind trying for me by disabling one card and seeing what the framerate diference is between your cpu at stock and oced. I would test myself but I cant overclock with the stock cooler I have and was tiring to decide if I should buy a aftermarket cooler. If you could I would greatly appreciate it.
Score
January 22, 2012 11:00:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

No...cpu at that spec will NOT give a framerate increase...Gpus give increases not overclocking a cpu like yours..

All the best Brett :) 

If what you say is true why do people overclock high end CPUs for gaming?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 11:22:43 PM

Because it's the nerd thing to do and some people like me play CPU intensive games like Starcraft 2 and Skyrim.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 11:38:23 PM

icantw82makeadatum said:
considering your specs would you mind trying for me by disabling one card and seeing what the framerate diference is between your cpu at stock and oced. I would test myself but I cant overclock with the stock cooler I have and was tiring to decide if I should buy a aftermarket cooler. If you could I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't own skyrim :(  For your cooler a cooler master hyper 212 with another 120mm fan would be the cheapest price/performance cooler!
Score
January 23, 2012 12:27:43 AM

so basicly it should help with like rpgs and rts but unless i upgrade my GPU it wont help for most first person shooters
Score

Best solution

a c 185 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 12:30:57 AM

icantw82makeadatum said:
so basicly it should help with like rpgs and rts but unless i upgrade my GPU it wont help for most first person shooters

Well from seeing other peoples post, mmorpg games such as wow, sc2 and many other ones and games that have many characters. That is all calculated within the cpu. A higher clocked cpu will perform and give much more fps in mmorpg games.
January 23, 2012 2:03:31 AM

Best answer selected by icantw82makeadatum.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 7:25:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!