Graphics Card upgrade help - need recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronikchef

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
So here are my specs of the pc i built in late march. My first build.

cpu - AMD Phenom X4 9850 2.5Ghz AM2+ (runs between 50-60c)
mobo - MSI 785GTM-E45 AMD 785G Socket AM2+
ram - Patriot Signature 2048MB DDR2 800MHz
psu - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX
gpu - MSI Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCIe (on boards graphics gives me a better windows score, so i stuck with on board graphics)
os - windows 7 home premium
case - power up executive mid tower case (horrible case, i am kicking myself for cheaping out, def upgrading asap)

Now that Diablo 2 is comming out in "early" 2012, I am going to have to upgrade my gpu.

It is said to have similar system reqs to starcraft 2:
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better

Also, I will be getting LOTR: War in the North (looks total badass!) which has a system reqs of:
2006 or later GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600

I am running my PC on a 32inch flatscreen hdmi port tv with a screen res of 1280x720 (which i don't really want to change)

So, my question is, what is a good graphics card for 100$ or under, that will run both these games?

I have checked out the best cards for xxx price threads, but they kinda leave me questioning if the gpu in question can run the games i plan on playing.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

PS. on a side note, is my CPU running high? I have never had any problems with it, no BSOD or anything in the 7 months i have been using it. Just wondering because I see people posting CPU temps of half mine.

Solution
:)

case - power up executive mid tower case (horrible case, i am kicking myself for cheaping out, def upgrading asap)

you mentioned about not wanting to get a "good" gpu since it'lll burn a hole in your wallet. But stop for 10mins and think about this - you spent on a cheap case and now you're having to make up for it with aftermarket stuff.

I say, since you're on the forums, make the most out of any answer you get and be happy for a few years to come.

secondly; If i know any gamer..and myself included - noone sticks to one game for too long and not on one resolution.

here's how i see it;

get mid range card(true its not wallet friendly)
down the road you'll add more detail to the games coming out or maybe move onto...

Lutfij

Titan
If you're running games at 720p then look no further than a GTX460...though that is old tech. I'd side with getting a HD6850 or a 6870...now that would keep you happy for a long time and if you decide to run res' of 1920x1080p than it'd still handle all the games nicely.

AMD 6xxx series gpu's are more cooler running than any of the nvidia out there. But you get physx on the nvidia that AMD have yet to crack into their GPU's

Just wondering because I see people posting CPU temps of half mine.
if you're running the stock cooelr than that "high" temp is normal. but if you're running a H50/70/80/100 setup with excellent airflow in your case - than yeah your doing it all wrong.

kronikchef

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

I do not feel like paying 200ish dollars for something I will not need, though it would be nice...
Care to elaborate on my screen resolution? I tried every reso I could and 1080x720 looked the best. Maybe I can use better reso with a better gpu?

I was leaning towards a 5670, but after some research i kinda want to go with a 256bit card, would that be over-kill?

an HD6850 looks very enticing! 256 bits of yummy. though 50% more than what i wanted to spend.... again though being able to run games in 1080p might hush my wallet

and thanks for the cpu temp info. like i said my case is not the greatest, i have two 120mm fans; one sucking air in the front and one blowing air out the back. my cpu did not come with a heatsink or coolor or fan of any type, so i picked up a http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7301677 also using artic silver compound

thanks for all the recommendations and links! i am still leaning towards paying a few more bucks for a 256bit card... unless someone has good reason to talk me out of it...?

Thanks to all for your input! Seems like a great community of doers, not fakers. Hard to find now a days!

Lutfij

Titan
:)

you mentioned about not wanting to get a "good" gpu since it'lll burn a hole in your wallet. But stop for 10mins and think about this - you spent on a cheap case and now you're having to make up for it with aftermarket stuff.

I say, since you're on the forums, make the most out of any answer you get and be happy for a few years to come.

secondly; If i know any gamer..and myself included - noone sticks to one game for too long and not on one resolution.

here's how i see it;

get mid range card(true its not wallet friendly)
down the road you'll add more detail to the games coming out or maybe move onto another tv res

either way its possible since you have the GPU to do it.

spend once and be happy instead of cheaping out and living with a frown almost everytime you look at monitor/pc case.

FYI - that zalman is only a replacement of apppearance from your stock cooler since it performs the same. If possible get he Hyper 212+ or the Evo.Will even give you OC'ing headroom.

following thumb rule:
case, PSU, HDD and cpu cooler remain constant
mobo, ram, cpu and GPU will change but not often... sometimes only one will from this line of parts.

Solution

kronikchef

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
again thanks to all who took time to give me some advice! I think i am going to go with a 256bit hd6850. little bit higher than what i was looking to spend, but i think its going to be worth it. the pros to buying this card over a cheaper one massively outweigh the cons (only one con, more $$) also, i will be getting a better cpu cooler, one of the 212s. just hoping it will fit in my case!

again thanks to all who took time to give me much needed advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.