Status
Not open for further replies.

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Using the computer for pretty much Youtube/Web browsing and Gaming...

Which do you think would be the best option to go with the AMD FX 8150 @ 4ghz or the i5 2500k @ 4ghz

Which ever one I get will be liquid cooled with a corsair h100, so as far as gaming use/temps...etc, what would you choose?

xaira

Distinguished
the 8150 is the first octocore cpu ever available for the desktop market, would go with that hands down, the best intel has to offer is only a six core, also the base clock for the amd requires a lower multiplier to get to your desired frequency of 4.0 ghz, the intel would require double the multiplier to get the same frequency, make he right choice...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For web work, either one is overkill. For gaming, go with the i5-2500K. Even at stock clock it's faster at gaming. If video editing is in your future, the more cores the better. The octocore would excell there. Modern games rarely make use of even 4 cores efficiently. And the Sandy Bridge processors are faster than the Bulldozers at gaming... at least for now.

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Well, Im trying to build a machine to last a few years...

So for 1-2 years down the road, does the i5 still seem like a better choice for gaming?

From what I've seen the i5 and bulldozer are fairly close in benchmarks.. neither are "killing" the other one as far as scores go.. but do you think games will start using more than 4 cores withing 1-3 years?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Use this comparison to gauge what is most important for you.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=288

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

like I said, they are very close in most gaming test's... but for futures sake, would it be better to have 8 cores for a system to last a few years?

I realize the i5 comes out ontop.. but what i've seen, the dozer can easily hit 4.5ghz at a lower temp. than the i5.. so surely, OC'd they'd both be more than enough?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Even not overclocked, they'd both be enough. But you were asking for a comparison.
Remember, gaming is mainly about the graphics card(s).

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The FX8150 is not a "true" Octocore. It's actually a quad core with hardware SMT, which does not...and never will perform anywhere close to what a true Octocore is capable of.

Yes, it would be better to have 8-cores. The problem here is the fact that you're getting 8 integer cores and only getting the resources of a quad core. As I said, the FX8150 is not a true Octocore. It's a quad-core with hardware SMT. Each pair of integer cores shares resources.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ This is correct.

The i5 2500k is a much faster processor.

"The flagship eight-core CPU in the FX family, AMD FX-8150, in most cases can’t catch up even with the quad-core Core i5-2500, performing well only in few selected applications for 3D modeling and during video transcoding.

Slower eight-core modification, AMD FX-8120, looks even less convincing, because it has significantly lower clock frequencies. In terms of performance, this processor ranks even below the quad-core competitor solutions. Moreover, FX-8120 is also slower than the top previous-generation AMD CPU – Phenom II X6 1100T."

"It turns out that the only one who may benefit from the upcoming migration from Phenom II to the new FX family is AMD. Bulldozer microarchitecture allows the company to stop using old manufacturing process for their semiconductor dies and move on to the new cores with lower production cost. However, the end users won’t win in this situation. FX CPUs that are coming to replace the good old Phenom II processors are not faster or cheaper than their predecessors. Therefore, until processors on new Piledriver microarchitecture come out, the new FX are of no real interest to AMD fans and Phenom II owners. FX CPUs are also hardly appealing for the new systems: Intel’s Core i5 and Core i3 processors can offer better combination of price and performance in a wide range of tasks with only a few exceptions such as video transcoding in x264 codec and selected 3D rendering applications."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_10.html

the FX is only good for rendering and video editing.

for gaming the i5 will be better, also 8 cores will not be needed for a long time going by the rate software is moving at the current point. We are just starting to use more than 2 cores and it has been 6 years since the first quad cores.

i5 2500k is cheaper, offers better overall performance for price, is much more efficient compared to fx.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589 @$180
8150's power-performance efficiency goes down with overclock, stock performance is worse compared to 2500k.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-power-consumption-efficiency,3060.html
undervolting improves slightly.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bulldozer-efficiency-overclock-undervolt,3083.html
there are windows 7 patches out, that improve overall performance for fx by 1-2% (amd's figures).
at 4 ghz, 2500k > 8150. unless you're running 4 simultaneous vms and using pov rendering 24/7.

Which has what to do with anything exactly?

Why water, cheap air beats basic water almost all of the time, and there's nothing to go wrong with air.

jdwii

Splendid

Sorry to say it but your some what wrong CMT is not in anyway like SMT people some times forget that. 8 core bulldozer have 8 integer cores. CMT works better and scales higher then smt does. SMT is about 30% scaling where cmt is 80% scaling. For rendering and encoding the 8 core would be better for gaming it all depends what will age better BD or sandy as of today the 4 core wins hands down but what about 3 years from now? To me i do more then just game i encode and render quite a bit so i would go with the 8 core and OC it i also Feel the 8 core will age like wine while the 4 core will age like milk. The future is more and more multithreaded and less about single-threaded apps. Not to mention Amd has better boards for the money then Intel does.(whats up with micro being close to the only option for boards that cost 100$ or less?)

OOZMAN

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Close? How is that close? The 2500k brutally annihilates the FX in gaming. :kaola:

AS for the temp thing, the 2500k can stand higher temps than the FX, you gotta look at how far from the tjMax your cpu is when overclocking, not the actual temp. For example, it would be risky to go over 50C with the FX, but 2500k can handle 70C+ easy.

Core count isn't the only factor; per-core performance matters just as much. The i5-2500k is simply a more powerful processor.

The entire BD line is good for servers, where running multiple applications allows teh chip to scale better, but for the desktop, where only one heavy application is typically running at a time, it simply will not scale well.

st4rkill3r

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
At this point there's no big difference in games between those CPUs, but in the (near) future games will surely run better on multicore rigs. In my opinion Intel's > all, but if you want performance at a decent price go for the AMD.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

How does that statement stack up when the FX 8150 is dearer than the i5 2500k.

It ain't 1999 any more.

For basic computing tasks (Web, YouTube, Office, etc.) both processors are plenty powerful enough and I doubt you could tell the difference between them.

For gaming the i5 2500k is, hands down, a much more powerful processor.

st4rkill3r

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

What's wrong with my statement? He said he wants the cpu future proof, so I recommended the AMD, given the fact it has more cores than the i5 and it's cheaper than the i7.
Your name is super "awesome" compared to mine, kid.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Nothing is wrong with your statement, however you failed to endorse Intel, therefore you must be destroyed. Have you not seen all the synthetic benchmarks showing Intel's pure domination?......

Status
Not open for further replies.