Time Warner Turbo 2 Wide and wireless routers

rigbly

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Frustrated. I'm getting 15 down and 1.5 up (well not really but I pay for that) and recently decided to cancel my cable bundle and go with straight internet service because I get all my content over the net period. So why pay for tv when you don't watch it? Anyway after 5000 hours of wrangling over "why I was asking to drop the cable service and just go with internet" I asked if 15MB down was the absolute fastest downstream they offered. I was told by the guy (I am just going to call this guy, guy because he didn't know enough to have an actual name).

He knows of 20MB downstream known as turbo 2 wide but I "have to pay a one time fee for their wireless router which is 49.99". I told him I didn't need the wireless router and he said it's "required".

Really...

He said it's required and that my router would not work with their turbo 2 service (no information was exchanged over the phone regarding router types). I asked guy to explain why that is.

He couldn't. All he could say is that I can't use my wireless router because their wireless router was a special kind of router.

How so, I asked guy? How is a wireless router I bought different from yours? They are both wireless N and both can be connected to other machines? Not sure says guy but you are the first person to ever ask me this question.

Omg can't someone answer this question? How is an $80 Belkin wireless 4 port different from a time Warner wireless router outside of them blackmailing their customers out of $50 for their router?

fl4cko

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

It's ******* bullshit. I just had the guy at my place to install his special piece of *** Motorola modem/router combo and it's slower than the regular turbo with my Apple router. I'm so annoyed right now. I told the guy to downgrade and put the other modem back. He left and said he'd call my phone. I was sure he'd be right back, but it has been 20+ minutes and he's gone with the other modem; leaving me with the shitty modem/router combo. ******* bastards are so full of *** it's no funny. I just check AT&T U-Verse.. looks like they have a turbo max that can do up to 24mbit.. but they may cap your data. WTF is the internet coming to?