Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about SATA ports on GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3. NEED HELP!!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 22, 2012 7:59:51 PM

Ok so right off the bat, I apologize for my noobishness. I may have a pretty sweet rig but my knowledge of computer hardware is still super limited. So im putting together an xmas list and wanted to put some additional internal hard drives for my rig on my list but Im not sure how many SATA II and SATA III ports my motherboard has. My motherboard is a GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/p [...] d=3910#ov. It says in the Storage Interface section.

Chipset:

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
* When a RAID set is built across the SATA 6Gb/s and SATA 3Gb/s channels, the system performance of the RAID set may vary depending on the devices being connected.

2 x Marvell 88SE9172 chips:

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2 x eSATA 6Gb/s connectors (including 1 eSATA/USB Combo connector) on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
Support for RAID 0 and RAID 1

So does this mean that my motherboard has internal support for up to 2 SATA III's and 4 SATA II's or 4 SATA III's and 4 SATA II's?

Im just trying to figure out what my hard drive distribution needs to be like. I realize that my case only has slots for up to 6 HDD in the front HDD cage so im only really looking to have a total of 6 drives because I don't see that there would be space on the interior for any others. Anyways I just want to figure out how many different drives of each type my current set can support so I can figure out which drives to get.

SECONDLY
Is there such thing as a SATA III to SATA II adapter cable?

Thank you in advance for your help. I hope to get some assistance on this soon so my mom can might be able to do some black Friday shopping like she wants.

Best solution

a c 1118 V Motherboard
November 22, 2012 8:03:40 PM

Cable the same and all fully backwards compatible, you got 4 and 4.
November 22, 2012 8:04:02 PM

huh, my sig wont fit my build so here we go.

* Case: Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 4x230mm fansand 4x120mm fans
* CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
* Cooling System: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans mounted under the top 2 120mm fans
* Motherboard: GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset
* Video Card: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2.5GB 16X PCIe Video Cards in SLI
* Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
* Power Supply Upgrade: THERMALTAKE TRX 1200W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
* Hard Drive 1: 2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD
* Hard Drive 2: 3TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2012 7:57:54 PM

Ok so I did a little research and confirmed through MaximumPCS testing that there is literally no difference whatsoever between SATA 1, 2, and 3 cables, so now what I'm wondering is if plugging a SATA III drive into a SATA II port would still function correctly? I mean I would assume that since the cords themselves are identical that it would work, likely reducing the transfer rate to 3.0 gbps as is the standard for SATA II since if there is no difference in transfer rate of the cords it must be the plugs themselves that make the difference. Anyways I'm just curious if it would work because for some reason SATA III 3tb drvies are cheaper then SATA II 3tb drives so even if the transfer rate would only be 3.0gbps it would still be cheaper.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:42:46 AM

Best answer selected by rthughes.
m
l
a c 1118 V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 12:47:20 AM

They are fully backwards compatible 6GB drive works fine on 3GB port. Normal Mechanical HDD even 6GB one can not even max out the 3GB interface.
m
l
!