LVDS transmitters on motherboards

skygod12000

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I've been searching for a couple of days and most of the articles I've found are very old and maybe not appropriate for 2011.

I got an Acer laptop with a fried motherboard (They really don't like being doused in Beer Chang) in return for installing an OS and swapping the RAM to the replacement machine.

I have since sold the HDD, Optical and keyboard so have done quite well and am now looking to build a small Home Server to offload all the static storage (Movies / Music etc) from my day to day system. Connection to control the setup was to be through VNC or Remote Desktop (depending on the OS used), but I'm now wondering if it's possible to buy a motherboard with an LVDS connector and hook up the AU Optronics B140XW01 which states that it uses a 40 pin LVDS Channel 1 connector to it?

Regarding the choice of motherboard, it could be onboard CPU , but I also have an AMD Athlon II x2 P340 and an Intel Pentium M that have been salvaged from dead laptops which would be more than sufficient for my processor needs.

I've also got a Wireless N Mini-PCI card, so it could be an interesting project to just get a nice case fabricated and have a custom 'All In One' solution.

Any pointers or reference material greatfully accepted.

George

well I saw this miniITX mobo with LVDS header on it for cheap
includes an Intel Atom CPU which will be nice for a basic file server
due to low heat and low power consumption
also the Mini ITX form factor would be easier to mod with

link to mobo
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=lvds+motherboards&hl=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=888&wrapid=tlif131412670778410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8472669174121759600&sa=X&ei=tPtTTrnADKrt0gHVz8mFBg&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAA#

skygod12000

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

That's the type of thing I was thinking of using, but where would I get an LVDS connector cable? There is no mention on the AU Optronics website and the motherboard doesn't come supplied with one.

The cable that was used in the Acer laptop is proprietary so either an adapter is required or a custom cable from the motherboard to the panel. Full deatils and technical documentation regarding the panel is here:

B140XW01+V.8

As I said in the OP, this is very much a 'research first' project as there seems to be little information available and I do not wish to start buying components only to find that I need to spend a fortune on a custom built connector cable / adapter.
I do feel that it must be more efficient delivering screen output directly from the video chip instead of taking a digital / analog / digital route.

If the connection issue can be resolved, I may consider making the system into a full blown HTPC (with built in screen) using something like these.

MSI 690T
Intel D945GSEJT

Or for a super powerful HTPC with the ability to control HDMI devices, there's always this latest offering from Intel. (After adding the cost of a CPU it would be pricey though.)

Intel DH61AG

take a look at this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lvds+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories
if ebay is an option maybe that helps

to be honest I am not familiar with LVDS
I just did some Google research and linked you a mobo
Also trying to help you out by bumping you higher up
I do computer repairs but shy away from laptops
rather stick with towers
I just do basics like changing hard drives and keyboards on laptops

I do like the concept of a built in hideaway screen on a HTPC
So I found your post interesting

skygod12000

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I'm beginning to wonder why so many boards are sold in the mainstream market with LVDS transmitters on board as I cannot find any references to getting a simple connection to a standard LCD panel.

Every reference I've found has involved a custom built cable or adapter to convert a laptop cable.