Connect geforce gtx 460 to power supply

AstalGiest

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I have a fresh Dell Inspirion 620 desktop straight outta the box. The Graphics card sucks, so I bought a GeForce GTX 460 card. I stuck it in, but the comp cant seem to read it, preventing me from installing the drivers. There seems to be no supplemental power cables hanging around in my comp either, preventing me from hooking up the power to the card. It seems to be optional however. What I am worried about is the extra connector hanging out of the PCI slot (Its circled in the first picture). Is that normal or disastrous? Included pictures in case I confuse anyone.
The proposed problem close up.
210hw95.jpg

The card I want installed
2mourkn.jpg

My comps backside
111t65x.jpg

My comps inside
1zvy82.jpg

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
you need to hook that 460 up to the power supply,its not optional.......the card wont work without it.....if there arent any connectors for the card from your power supply,then you need to replace the power supply.....one that supports pcie graphics cards.....

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
You will need 1 or 2 6 pin pci-e connectors to power the card (you should see the slots for the power connectors on the video card I think the 460 uses 2 6 pins but could be 6 or 8 and 1 or 2 depending on the card lol. Problem is when you get your OEM type PCs they love to use proprietary power supplies that have barely enough connections for your PC and barely enough power too, it's very common to have to upgrade the PSU before you do any additional upgrades to a dell/hp etc.

Far as the picture goes it's not super clear so I can't tell for sure if that is the power connector or what.

You learned a valuable but expensive lesson. You never buy a pre-built and then try to upgrade it.

You buy the parts you want and put it together yourself with future upgrade ability in mind, then you don't have these kind of costly no brainer issues.

Oh and am I the only one that see's something seriously wrong with that cpu fan?

AstalGiest

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I thought so too at first, but the damn thing is secured tightly and not moving at all. Trust me that was the first thing I noticed when I removed the cover. Thanks for the links. If it doe not work for some odd reason after I install the power supply, I have my first 3 components to a custom PC.(My sexy monitor being the 3rd) :D