New graphics card no display

Kirbs69

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hi I have a HP pavillion desktop pc model RQ450AA-ABG m8080a with 3Gb Ram soon to be 4-6Gb, CPU is an intel Core2 6300 1.86Ghz, BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Version 5.16. Motherboard is ASUStek LEONITE Serial MS1C71S21502966. 1 DVD Writer and 1 SCSI SATA-2 Hard drive. USB Card readers x 4, and running windows vista home premium. Now I am attempting to upgrade the video card from my old Geforce 7600GS 512Mb to an ASUS EAH5770 CuCore 1gb card. I upgraded my psu to an A-Power 860w version with duel 12v rails each at 28A and 26A to supply the new card (Old PSU also didnt have pci-e power output for the card), and i also researched and tried almost everything like uninstall old display adapter and drivers reboot with new card and no display, tried from onboard with new card in and no display even tried the wrong thing to see what would happen while the comp was on i plugged new card in and restart and no display. Old card works, onboard works, but as soon as i put new card in doesnt work. Fan on card works but it doesnt give signal from vga or dvi. Made sure that its booting from PCIe in BIOS, Got new drivers installed first before putting card in to see if that worked but no. I just dont know what else to do. Wouldnt think it would be the power supply its way over what it says it requires and i did check with the dealer if it would work. only thing i didnt do was update the BIOS but everywhere i read that didnt seem to be the problem. Cant find the right answer anywhere. SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
First, i would like to applaud you with describing your situation in detail along with what you already attempted. Its very annoying having people write a one sentence question for a problem like this.

anyways, could be a couple things not working here - one, its a big video card, there could be an issues with the card fitting properly into your case and seated all the way down into the PCIe slot. Double check to make sure the card is fitted properly all the way down into it's slot.

Second, the video card is most likely going to have 2 DVI ports. Try plugging your monitor into both and try to boot. Usually, one is primary whilst the other is secondary. shouldn't really matter when it get into windows, but it may still in BIOS.

When booting your computer with the video card in, do you hear a single 'beep' from the computer? If so, that means your computer has POST'd correctly, if it doesn't that could mean a faulty video card.

Kirbs69

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Hi Thanks Rozz i have double checked the seating of the card and it has one hdmi out, one vga and one dvi and ive checked both dvi and vga, hope its not a faulty card, got it off ebay brand new sealed and all for $130 AU as for the beep as far as i know the comp doesnt have one on startup anyway or at least i cant hear one. But the card is getting power to it just not to the video outs.

Kirbs69

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Yes i did hook up the pcie 6 pin power from the psu and i know its not the best psu but its all i could afford atm, they aint cheap things to get they are more expensive than the cpu themselves, if you know of a good cheap psu then please let me know.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
even without power, a GPU should still POST. It sounds like a faulty card bro. You've done everything correct so far.. If the old card works, and the new doesnt - means the new ones broke ;)

No. You can get a good quality bronze rated psu for around $50 if you find the sales. I got mine for $30 after rebate and it's 80+ Bronze rated, which is a step above the standard 80+ rateing. It also has fault protection circuits and overload and surge protection circuits and a 3yr warranty.

The psu is the most important part of your computer. It powers, regulates and protects your computer components from surges and power fluctuations. Why would you want your expensive components powered and protected by a piece of crap that doesn't even have the basic 80+ certification?

Kirbs69

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140474515249?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT
This is the one i bought. What would you reccomend, i cant find any good ones under $150. But apart from that i am getting a friend around hopefully today to have a look. Hes an IT and computer service guy that builds his own "super" computers so hopefully he can help and possibly test the card in one of his comps. Will let you know how things go

That's a horrible power supply. No protections circuits. Does not even meet the basic 80+ efficiency certification and a horrible 1yr warranty.

On top of that I doubt it puts out even 500w, and that's being optimistic.

Good luck. Hope it came with a fire extinguisher. I'm not surprised at all you can't get it to work.

I'd suggest consulting with your "super computer" guy or this forum before making any other purchases.