astro94

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Had a failure with my Auquarius II pump cooling on an Asus Blitz formula, OCZ Flex ram and an Intel Q6700 GO all at stock.

Only on for about 15 minutes before I noticed the temp monitor on my case and shut it down. Checked the bios. It must have made it to about 85-90 celcius for about 10-15 minutes. Can those GO quads hit 100c's before damage occurs?

Does anyone think there will be permanent damage done to the cpu or mainboard??

Because there is a water block still filled with water to even out the heat does that make any difference or will the life have been been reduced??

Its only a few weeks old and I'm pretty dissapointed.

I understand the tjunction max at 100c stuff. But does that mean that there will be no cpu damage done before shut down, or tjunction max shuts it down only to keep your computer from setting your house on fire if you wernt around given a cooling malfunction and saving Intel from some costly complaints?

Expert advice will be much appreciated for a new forum member.

Thanks all, J

Well you bought a pretty cr@ppy WC kit. I guess this is where you find out the facts... (see this thread for advice on real Water cooling esp. the website recommendations: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=249472&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0 )

The Q6700 will automatically turn off if it reaches critical temps (125 or 150C I think). I doubt there's too much damage. May be a reduction of 6 months (out of 6 years)?

astro94

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

Imagine I got a response from Intel!

They said THERMTRIP would kick in before any damage could be sustained. Thats 100C!

Interesting everyone is always boasting about their 32C OCed temps..... 32degs or 62degs... seems like there's really no difference. If it can take 100 before damage and THERMTRIP off that must still be well under the damage mark.

I wonder what a chip can really take and avoid damage.

Any idea how the lifespan works?? Like how it degrades. Like do some transistors burn out but the chip still works? Or is it simply just a work no work issue? And if it is damaged but still working then you can be sure youd see the damage as you use the computer. So curious.

Somthing interesting to ponder.

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
The lower you keep the temperature the longer the processor will last. Especially if you have it oc'd. But who cares noone ever keeps a processor for 6 years. Because in 6 years we will have 454352352352452 core processors. Why the hell would we want a dual core or quad hahaha.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
NO!

your fine!

i can tell you many stories, but i will just say this: i have stress tested many cpus (systems) for 1-3 days at 85-122c

sometimes it was blocked air flow
sometimes it was delamination of the thermal compound

sometimes it was just crappy water cooling like koolance - yes that is a koolance photo for my avatar, yes koolance is good sometimes

your fine!

i post photos!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
we simulate many failures and push them - in this case the cpu ran 28c in bios and the shot up to 60c, the same system that looked brand new - the temps doubles. What caused this could have been slippage of the under-plate? or simply hitting the heat pipe cooler hard enough to pull the compound away from the cpu cooler - then it did not re-bond.

the system was built as an "ad systems" for photos and demo. The system sat and we added a fan controller 2 months after it was built and fully tested for a full week - gamed and all.

IMPORTANT--> the cpu compound was MX-2 this is a big problem with mx-2 it sets and does not flow like artic silver. The nature of MX-2 caused this problem, when the fan control was added the cpu cooler must have been bumped hard enough to delaminate the thermal compound.

this system was stressed tested for 2-3 days - it ran 90c plus at the low end and the high end did not register with speed fan.

you can clearly see the delamination:

DSC_0128-2.jpg

below you can see the cpu = LOOK CAREFULLY~!
you see where the compound pulled away only 1/6 of the total area

you see the "WORM HOLES" from poor compound flow - this is why you should trowel you compound. i have written this many times.

THIS IS A VERY RARE PHOTO - VERY RARE!!!! YOU CAN LEARN ALOT FROM IT!
YOU CAN SEE THE ACUTUAL FINAL COMPOUN CONATCT PATCHS - SINCE THE HEAT SHINK WAS PULLED AWAY 2 MONTHS AFTER IT WAS INSTALLED.
study these photos and it will show you exactly how mx-2 flows.

DSC_0129-2.jpg

my kids:
DSC_0008-2.jpg

astro94

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks bro. Very descent reply and well backed up. Got a good laugh from the kids pic. Good looking kids just not the picture I was expecting to see next.

i post photos... Check out the pics... "Worm holes" - my kids: hehe
Thanks much.
Cheers, J

astro94

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
So Dragon sprayer or anyone else.... I just noticed my bios had enhanced halt state disabled for the cpu... does that mean that it has disabled PROCHOT and THERMTRIP??