Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvidia optimus under linux

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 23, 2011 4:54:30 PM

Hello,
Does any Linux distro work out of the boxwith a Compal BPL21 laptop or similar laptop with an Intel i7-2630QM and Nvidia GT 540M with Optimus?

More about : nvidia optimus linux

August 23, 2011 8:13:58 PM

You're gonna have a few annoying problems with nVidia GPU under Ubuntu 11.04. Ugly boot screen, no visual effects by default... all fixable (though the boot screen is complex), but annoying. Don't ever shift to Linux unless you have a damn good reason to do so.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 3:28:00 AM

COLGeek said:
Have you tried Ubuntu 11.4? You might want to check this link:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/


Thanks for the link. I have not tried Ubuntu 11.4. I couldn't get 10.5 to work on my current machine, a Compaq Presario 2195us. I've been using Arch Linux for the past 3 years. It serves me well but there have been enough problems that I am reluctant to invest $1200 or so in a new machine without someone claiming to have it working well under some Linux distribution.
m
0
l
September 4, 2011 11:34:14 AM

You cant because Nvidia haven't release optimus drivers for Linux. Its a real pain because you cant disable the Intel beacuse its connetd to the laptop screen. However you can trade in your laptop for an AMD GFX laptop, it surely will run Linux without hiccups.
m
0
l
a b 5 Linux
September 10, 2011 2:43:35 AM

There is a way to get optimus support, but it takes rolling up your sleeves a bit

Quote:
You're gonna have a few annoying problems with nVidia GPU under Ubuntu 11.04. Ugly boot screen, no visual effects by default... all fixable (though the boot screen is complex), but annoying. Don't ever shift to Linux unless you have a damn good reason to do so.

Different things are important to different people. I enjoy the fact that, if need be, I can go in and modify the OS to my needs (and have done to change how a device behaves by modifying the kernel code). I enjoy the fact that I can create a simple analogy to a Windows Service that will email me when some predefined event occurs simply by creating a simple shell script. I don't care to play video games. Linux (and the various BSDs) work for me.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 200 D Laptop
September 10, 2011 2:49:16 AM

bmouring said:
There is a way to get optimus support, but it takes rolling up your sleeves a bit

Quote:
You're gonna have a few annoying problems with nVidia GPU under Ubuntu 11.04. Ugly boot screen, no visual effects by default... all fixable (though the boot screen is complex), but annoying. Don't ever shift to Linux unless you have a damn good reason to do so.

Different things are important to different people. I enjoy the fact that, if need be, I can go in and modify the OS to my needs (and have done to change how a device behaves by modifying the kernel code). I enjoy the fact that I can create a simple analogy to a Windows Service that will email me when some predefined event occurs simply by creating a simple shell script. I don't care to play video games. Linux (and the various BSDs) work for me.

Good for you! I agree wholeheartedly on the merits of Linux. I also do Windows, Mac OS X (on a Mac), a couple of flavors of Unix, and a couple more obscure OSes on MANY platforms. I can honestly say that the modern Linux installs are at least as easy to work with as the so-called mainstream OSes/platforms. For the uninitiated, don't bash what you don't understand. HOOAH!!!
m
0
l
a b 5 Linux
September 10, 2011 7:33:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Good for you! I agree wholeheartedly on the merits of Linux. I also do Windows, Mac OS X (on a Mac), a couple of flavors of Unix, and a couple more obscure OSes on MANY platforms. I can honestly say that the modern Linux installs are at least as easy to work with as the so-called mainstream OSes/platforms. For the uninitiated, don't bash what you don't understand. HOOAH!!!


Precisely. People hear that I use Linux and assume I'm one of the annoying zealots (who, by the way bother the hell out of me), but honestly I just say use what makes sense, and that can vary based on who you are, what you're doing, and what you find important.

Edit: I forgot this is an internet forum, COCKBAGS! WINBLOW$ IS TEH SUXOR!

There, balance is restored :) 
m
0
l
September 28, 2011 8:08:20 PM

GDavidModica said:
Hello,
Does any Linux distro work out of the boxwith a Compal BPL21 laptop or similar laptop with an Intel i7-2630QM and Nvidia GT 540M with Optimus?


Thanks all for the comments. I ended up with a Lenovo W520.

Archlinux 64 bit works out of the box except for a little fiddling with the wireless. The Archlinux Wiki and ThinkWiki sites provide lots of good support. I have to switch between the integrated Intel graphics and the discrete Nvida using BIOS but both work.

The machine is awesome!

m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 200 D Laptop
September 28, 2011 8:37:03 PM

GDavidModica said:
Thanks all for the comments. I ended up with a Lenovo W520.

Archlinux 64 bit works out of the box except for a little fiddling with the wireless. The Archlinux Wiki and ThinkWiki sites provide lots of good support. I have to switch between the integrated Intel graphics and the discrete Nvida using BIOS but both work.

The machine is awesome!

Good for you! Have fun!!!
m
0
l
!