Closed Solved

Power supply compatible with Motherboard?

I am fairly new to computer DIY projects and this machine will become the first I built myself. However I am very skeptical that it will work flawlessly on it's initial run and to avoid $200 down the drain and a large paperweight, I want to ask someone who would be more experienced in this. Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4, 2.26GHz

Motherboard: Biostar G31-M4

Graphics Card: GeForce 8400GS

Power Supply: Pre-installed with a Logisys CS308RD at 480 Watts

So far, I have found that the Power Supply can easily pull the Graphics Card, and it should be able to do the motherboard, but I am still fearful of the outcome. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply compatible motherboard
  1. with most pc components if its physically compatible it should work
  2. Hello Northwestern;

Logisys has a habit of marking their PSUs with PEAK output power ratings instead of the continuous power rating nearly everyone thinks of as the 'true' rating of a PSU.

For example the Logisys PS550ABK 550Watt PSU has a peak output rating of 550W but only 400W continuous power. Most would say this is a 400W PSU.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9656/ss009.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the case you're looking at I believe this is your PSU:
    PS480D 480W and is from the same family as the PS550 above.
    So far, I can't find a data plate of the 480W to figure out it's continuous power rating.
  3. Nice find delluser1.

I knew it would be bad. It's a 330W PSU
  4. It's not no so much the wattage as it is the total package.
    The 16a 12v rail really gets me, a little Dell 305w puts 22a there ( and could easily power OP's sys. )
  5. It's certainly from an era before 12V CPUs.
  6. WR2 said:
    Hello Northwestern;

Logisys has a habit of marking their PSUs with PEAK output power ratings instead of the continuous power rating nearly everyone thinks of as the 'true' rating of a PSU.

For example the Logisys PS550ABK 550Watt PSU has a peak output rating of 550W but only 400W continuous power. Most would say this is a 400W PSU.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9656/ss009.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the case you're looking at I believe this is your PSU:
    PS480D 480W and is from the same family as the PS550 above.
    So far, I can't find a data plate of the 480W to figure out it's continuous power rating.

Yes, that is my PSU installed. I also looked on the box of the case I somehow still have and it says the PSU is 480W.
  7. What does it say for Total Power?
  8. For total power it states:

Total Average Output: 330W

Total Max Output: 480W
  9. That = 330W PSU
  10. Best answer
    Just as important as the actual 330W rating is the amount of +12V power the PSU can provide. It's the main voltage for your power hungry parts; CPU and Graphics cards, plus case fans, HDD fan motors, etc.
    That PSU can provide 16Amps worth of +12V power. 16A*12V=192Watts - a really abysmally low amount for a modern computer.
    Luckily, your parts aren't especially power hungry and your system's requirements are covered by that PSU.
  11. Thankfully. I was worried more about the Graphic card being the main guzzler of energy out of all components.

I'd test-boot it right now but I don't have an operational CPU Fan so I'd be treading dangerous if I did. Thanks for all your help.
  12. Best answer selected by Northwestern.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Compatibility Motherboards Components Product