PC TV Resolution problem

eddiesgranniesjam

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello,

I decided to hook up an old desktop to the tv in my bedroom to watch movies - but the resolution is terrible. My pc is connected by a dvi to hdmi cable to the tv
The specs are:
TV - Toshiba 19BV500B
PC: Dell Dimension 5000
Processor 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
Windows 7 Ultimate
2 gb ram
Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Display adapter]

All drivers seem up to date. The resolution is set to the recomennded setting 1920 x 1080.
The TV is set to its 'PC' setting - which just resizes the screen to make it all fit - but the resolution is still terrible,
Watching video files is fine - the problem is with the look of windows and browsing - text is tiny and blurry/grainy

Any ideas?
Cheers

Where did you get the 1920x1080 setting is recommended ?? Since the resolution on that TV is only 1366 x 768 pixels try using that resolution instead and see if things look better !
Overall though TVs are not made to be used as Monitors so the image quality is usually not going to be as good as it would be with a monitor.

Toshiba 19BV500B 19 Inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV.

Television picture quality:

HD Ready.
Freeview digital tuner.
19in (48cm) widescreen TV with 48cm visible screen size.
Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
50Hz.
Contrast ratio 1000:1 (native).
Response time 5ms.
Progressive scan.

eddiesgranniesjam

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Hi,

The 'recommended' resolution was just what windows told me when i right clicked on the desktop to set the resolution.

I changed the resolution just now to 1366 x 768 - it is still quite grainy and the picture size is pretty small - massive black bars all around

The quality is no better than when I had it going into an old crt downstairs using an s-video cable - was buying the dvi - hdmi cable a complete waste?