Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DDR3 1866 Ram

Last response: in Motherboards
November 23, 2012 12:54:07 AM

I just purchased a (8gbx4) set of DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900). My motherboard is a sabertooth z77 with an intel core i7 3770k cpu. The motherboard is rated for the 1866 but the cpu isn't. I read that you would need to set some xmp settings in the bios, but the performance gain between 1600 and 1866 in many cases is around 1%. So I'm a little confused on what might be my best approach here?

- Should I just install the ram and leave everything run on default settings?
- Would it default to the max rating of the CPU (1600)?
- Would it be best if I manually entered the parameters into the bios to run at 1600 or the actual ram ratings?

I'm not planning on overclocking the cpu or tweaking anything, mainly because I have no clue how to do that..but I just like having the performance capabilities when I need it..

My system:
- Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
- Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo
- Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
- G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4x8) Ram
- 200mm Fan
- WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD
- OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
- EVGA Geforce GTX 660ti Graphics Card
- Thermaltake 600W TR2 PSU

More about : ddr3 1866 ram

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 23, 2012 8:54:57 AM

Hi, After installng the RAMs, clear the CMOS. Then install CPU-Z and check the default speed. Check also the SPD options and the XMP one.
m
l
November 23, 2012 9:11:04 AM

Set it to 1866 and setup RamCache. The more hz, the better.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2012 9:22:12 AM

You may or may not be able to select 1866mhz as a speed option in Bios; I can't say for certain with your particular MB. The most common situation has 1600mhz as the maximum available memory speed. You may or may not be able to change this by increasing the base clock frequency of the CPU. If that is the case, the new options for the memory speed would be the product of the CPU base speed multiplied by whatever numbers had previously given 1333, 1600, ect as options.

There is no downside to installing faster memory, if the motherboard lists it as being a model of RAM that is supported and recognizable. Worst case is it downclocks to the allowed specs. Best case is even if it does so, your BIOS is advanced enough to recognize the situation and will tighten up the memory timings where possible. For example, my board will reset my RAM latency to 8-8-8-20 if I leave my 1866mhz Crucial modules downclocked to 1600mhz with "automatic" selected for the latency speeds. This actually seems to make more difference from the 9-9-9-24 timings than running the higher clock would.
m
l
November 23, 2012 10:19:56 AM

I guess I'm also concerned about stability. I read that if not done correctly the system would crash and blue screen regularly...would that be a possibly if I leave everything on default/auto? Or would I have to adjust the voltage, timings, etc.. ?

m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2012 11:44:42 AM

I have never had any issues or heard of any reason to have issues as a result of running memory at slower frequency or with looser latency than it is rated. You will get tons of blue screens and stability issues if you try to run memory at a higher speed or tighter latency settings than it is rated unless you are able to balance it out with other settings and overvolt the units safely. Just the proposed idea of installing "better" memory than the system will allow to run at maximum potential shouldn't be anything that requires any action whatsoever to make work. For a good example, there was a short while when I had a Dell mobo that capped memory at 8gb and 1333mhz per mobo specs. I had 16gb installed with a rating of 1866mhz, and it was just fine. The only thing to look out for with high-spec RAM is the voltage rating. There seems to be a trend toward 1.65v instead of the traditional 1.5v, and I can imagine there are plenty of motherboards which would not do well with that.
November 23, 2012 11:56:27 AM

Best answer selected by aalansari.
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:56:29 AM

My mobo is listed under the ram's qualified list and it's a 1.5V.

Thanks for your help!!
m
l
!