MAJOR PROBLEM: asus p8z77-v pro red cpu led, no post

ethanrox1000

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hello, i have a bit of a problem, I had just received some new pc components for a custom pc, when i was installing the cpu the first time I didn't realize that the gold triangle goes at the bottom left corner instead of the top right corner like i had always been used to. I had bent many pins on the socket and sent it in to asus to be repaired, they replaced the socket and i received it n the mail just a few days ago. I had finished putting it together and when i powered it on for the first time the red cpu led lit up and then shut off after about five seconds. I am worried that I had fried the cpu when i tried to start it up with the cpu seated incorrectly, although I checked it for burn marks and the distinguishable odor of a burnt up cpu, but it looked absolutely fine. I have tried to put the ram in different slots, still nothing, reseated the cpu, still nothing. I really need to fix this fast without spending a whole lot of money because if i cant use it then my only option is an imac with an i3 and 4 gigs of ram :sarcastic: . Anybody who could give me some troubleshooting would be super, greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Ethan

(p.s I am 13 and would really like to pursue a career in custom pc building/ coding)

specs:
motherboard: asus p8z77-v pro
cpu: intel core i7 3770k (stock heatsink)
gpu: evga geforce gtx 560ti 1gb superclocked
ram: corsair vengance 8gb (4x2) 1600 mhz

Solution
Well I actually built a PC with the same motherboard, processor, and the same brand of ram (I used 16gb instead of 8) and I had to keep removing the motherboard to put more stuff on (didn't plan ahead) and with all this unplugging and unscrewing, I forgot to plug in the CPU power, which presented the same problem of the red CPU light. Make sure you have the line from the Power Supply plugged in the 8-pin connector above the CPU.

jman3350

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Well I actually built a PC with the same motherboard, processor, and the same brand of ram (I used 16gb instead of 8) and I had to keep removing the motherboard to put more stuff on (didn't plan ahead) and with all this unplugging and unscrewing, I forgot to plug in the CPU power, which presented the same problem of the red CPU light. Make sure you have the line from the Power Supply plugged in the 8-pin connector above the CPU.

Solution

ethanrox1000

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

holy crap thank you so much! I bought a new psu today and had some more issues but i managed to resolve them and now i am writing this from my new pc!!! :D