Trouble extending pc screen to samsung tv

ARC_75

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello, Samsung tv is old but has 15pin connection for pc. Pc is old Vaio (good one)without HDMI slot but with 15pin connection. Samsung only uses Extn 1, Extn 2 and DTV. The other sources are in grey, including 'PC'. DVD player connects to Ext 1 and works fine. How do I get 'PC' to work?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Without specific model numbers for the PC and TV, it's difficult to even suggest anything more than search the web for the TV's manual. Instructions on using the PC port should be listed there.

-Wolf sends

More than likely you have that input "skipped" in the settings on the tv, so that when switching between sources you didn't keep hitting an input you weren't using. There should be someway to set that to an active input inside the settings.

(1) make sure the refresh rate for the VGA output is something that your samsung TV can consume. Start with 800 X 600 X 60 hz if you can't find doc to see what the TV can take. Forget about 1080p type resolutions or 85 hz refresh rates unless your old TV was a monster. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Correct-monitor-flicker-refresh-rate
(2) power off tv. There are mixed opinions on whether VGA is hot pluggable. I wouldn't plug in VGA while the TV is powered on. Connect the VGA cable, power up PC, then power cycle the TV.
(3) you reference "extending pc screen to samsung tv". Did you mean extending like the dual monitor use of the word 'extending'? If so, can you back off and just use VGA as the only monitor until you get it working then focus on the dual screen mode. My new thinkpad allows different resolutions and refresh rates on the extended monitors, my old one did not. You may be hitting hardware or driver restrictions.

Can you post OS (win xp? MCE? vista? win7), video card or cut/paste your pc specs. thanks.