Sign in with
Your question

Solid Red CPU Q LED - ASUS Crosshair V Formula (Fails to post)

Last response: in Motherboards
November 23, 2012 5:08:15 AM

SPECS IN QUESTION:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1,000W PSU (Gold)
AMD FX 8350 Vishera
G.Skill Ripjaw X RAM (8GB Sticks, 1866MHz)

Hi all.

I finally got the last of my parts for a build i've been assembling over the course of a few months.
Spent all last night and this morning assembling it (this is my third full custom build), take it upstairs, weary and tired, and press the power button.

LEDs flash up, fans turn on, and... nothing. No loading screen, no BIOs messages or anything. Just a bunch of nothing.
Looking inside I notice that among all of the green LED status indicators, there is a single solid red one. "CPU Q LED" which apparently represents an unknown CPU related problem according to the motherboard's manual.

Everything in this rig is brand new, out of the box, so I assume off the bat that maybe I messed up my wiring. I do a quick overlook, re-tighten my cables, etc... and still no joy. (I have also tried switching my 8-pin ATX to be 4-pin.)

I removed my RAM and re-seated, to no avail. Removed the CMOS battery for a bit and set the jumpers to clear CMOS as well, which had no effect. Reseated the CPU as well, with no luck.

I just brought it back down, undid all of the work of last night and removed everything but the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM. Powered it up, and of course, all green lights with the single solid red CPU Q LED shining in my face.

So, maybe my CPU was DOA... I went and retrieved my old build from the floor in my room, gutted the case, and retrieved my newly-to-be-replaced CPU, which is an AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE. I install it in the new motherboard, and... you probably saw this coming, but yeah, the LED is still illuminated.

Lastly, I figured, maybe it's the motherboard itself. Maybe it's not even powering up the CPU. So I (stupidly) touched my finger to the Phenom, and promptly scorched my finger. So it's definitely delivering power...

After cursing loudly a few times and dousing my fingers in cold water, I came here, hoping maybe someone could give me some sort of idea of what may be the issue.

Thanks again.

PS: I also just removed the motherboard from the case and tested it sitting alone, on the motherboard's box, in case there was some sort of short being caused by the case. Negative here, too.
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 23, 2012 9:12:43 AM

Hi,
With the FX the problem was most probably the BIOS version of the board, as it requires the 1703 one, Now, the 955 is supported by the original BIOS, but it's hard to say what happened during the troubleshooting process.
What I suggest: with the board outside the case, reinstall the CPU and the CPU fan, connect all 24, 8-pin and 4-pin power connectors, start the board and check if the CPU fan does spin and if the CPU led is still red.
m
l
November 23, 2012 6:06:01 PM

alexoiu said:
Hi,
With the FX the problem was most probably the BIOS version of the board, as it requires the 1703 one, Now, the 955 is supported by the original BIOS, but it's hard to say what happened during the troubleshooting process.
What I suggest: with the board outside the case, reinstall the CPU and the CPU fan, connect all 24, 8-pin and 4-pin power connectors, start the board and check if the CPU fan does spin and if the CPU led is still red.

Thanks for the response.

I did as you said. The cpu fan spins and works fine, but I still have the red Q LED for the CPU.
I powered down, re-cleared CMOS, and hooked up a VGA to see if maybe it's finally working at this point but the LED error lies somewhere else. Unfortunately, it doesn't even attempt to start. Just a blank, idle screen. :/ 
m
l
Related resources
a c 558 V Motherboard
November 23, 2012 6:13:36 PM

If red CPU led, then the CPU doesn't work. Is it red with both the 955 and the FX?
If yes, then it might be a motherboard problem.
m
l
November 23, 2012 6:30:20 PM

alexoiu said:
If red CPU led, then the CPU doesn't work. Is it red with both the 955 and the FX?
If yes, then it might be a motherboard problem.

Yeah, both CPUs present the red LED.

I was thinking maybe either the 24, 8, or 4 pin power cords were faulty. So I got my other PSU from the old build and tried that. Same response; everything powers up, red LED.

At this point I think I might have tried everything :/  the only thing left for me to try is to use the old motherboard and see if I can get it to post with that... if I can then I can probably safely assume it's the mobo being faulty v.v
m
l
December 30, 2012 8:43:53 PM

I had this problem two. I fixed it . I thought that there was only one cpu headers but there are two. I put a 6 pin into the 8 pin header and got the red light for cpu. I then had a good look and found out it was a 2 xs 4 pin header so went out and bought 2 4 pins and worked fine :)  just make sure you got the right lead for the cpu header. Other wise you will get the red light for cpu. Sorry about bumping a old thread but thought id share the fix :) 
m
l
!