mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
thinking of gaming rig configurations, does 2 video cards dirctly affect framerate? because if it doesnt help all that much i dont see the point in bothering. also if i do an AMD build the cpu will probably be a phenom II x4 955 black edition (half as much cost wise as i5 2500k hope it isnt worth half as much..) and a AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card so will that be desent for gaming on high settings? i would like at minimum 60 fps at high-ultra (if i can even hop efor anything on ultra settings im not very familiar with AMD) settings and am trying to keep to as low a budget as i can with a good gaming rig because i dont have the money, i have to wait while i save up the cash. So, i was wondering if adding a second radeon 6770 would rais my fps enough to bother.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
It does affect framerate, and positively, at that. Though you can do better than starting off on a 6770, even on a budget. Instead of the two 6770s, I'd go for a 6870 to begin with, though I'm not sure if you're saying that you already have one, or if the entire build is in utero. The 2500k is about twice what the 955 is, at any rate, the 955 is any better of a value than the 2500k.

For the price of two HD6770s you can get a GTX 560 Ti or an HD6950. Either would be a better choice. If you are saying you can only afford the one card now and will get a second for Crossfire later then yes, it will boost performance a large amount and would be worth doing.
As for playing games at "60 fps at high-ultra" you would need to specify what game, what resolution and whether you mean one HD6770 or two.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
well im just trying to get as much long term performance as i can with as little as i can i was on cyberpower looking at fps with different configurations, (most said coming soon, BS they said that months ago) and the 6770 had 72 fps on high on MW2 with one card and the phenom, so im nto sure how goo dthat would be if i ever got online gaming support (im more an xbox gamer but dont have xbl and never use anymore so idk how online computer gaming works) but yea i would only get one card now but eventually i may want 3 monitors if i ever upgrade the cpu (imma get an am3+ mobo so i can upgrade in future with maybe the bulldoser cpus)

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
also is the extra 10$ worth getting the 965 phenom II x4 and would overclocking be any better on it? i may do a little bit of Oc'ing but im not sure whether its worth risking the cpu, its cheap but not so cheap i want to kill it..

If you are going to overclock it doesn't matter what Phenom II x4 you get. They are all really the same processor and should overclock to the same levels so just get the cheapest one. The only difference is the black edition processors have unlocked multipliers which makes overclocking a bit easier. A nice feature but if you are on a tight budget it's not really necessary.

EDIT: I forgot, do NOT get the 840. The Phenom II x4 840 is not actually a Phenom II but rather an Athlon II as it lacks L3 cache. It's just a shady marketing move by AMD so don't fall for it.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
im reading newegg reviews, theres like 25 1 and 2 egg reviews that actually complain about oerformance, but like all the 3 stars are hsf based, just my opinion but they should really stop complaining, i have a bix fan in my room all the time i dont care, and i think its louder than most cpu fans lol, anyway are you sure about the phenoms? i was considering an athlon II since i heard somewhere that they were more reliable or something, but i am not sure whether to get a phenom II x4 or a 1st gen i5 that may or may not have the same performance :/

All CPUs are very reliable. They pretty much never stop working.
If you are going to go Intel you should really make it an i5 Sandy Bridge chip. They are worth the extra money. I would either do that or go cheap with a Phenom II x4. They are the best values for the money right for a gaming processor IMO.
An Athlon II x4 would still be alright but with the current price differential it is worth it to get a Phenom II instead.