How the heck did I get a SLOWER card thats 4 gens newer???

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I was running a 8800 GTS with 512 RAM on my Core2Duo system.

I just upgraded to a i5-2500 system and took a GT 430 w/ 1gb.

The sales guy told me it's 4 gens and 3 years newer.. much better... (8800 to 9000 series to 200 series to 300 series to 400 series)

Now I'm reading online that instead of significantly upgrading, I actually downgrading???

How the F does this happen????

Javaslinger

Because 3 years ago the 8800 cards were very nearly top of the range and today a 430 is an entry level card. I have just spend 10 mins working through old reviews and up to date and ball park a 8800GTS is about 15% faster than your new card.

Take the card back you have been mis sold the product. I doubt you were lied to on purpose, usually these people have no clue what they are selling.

Mactronix :)

Well, that's what happens when you don't really know much about technology and when the salesperson don't know much either or is simply telling you things you want to hear so that you will buy a product.

Before nVidia changed the way they named their cards, it was more or less easy to compare cards of different generations such as between a GeForce 6000 and 8000 series. The first number represents the generation (6xxx or 8xxx), then the next 3 numbers defines it's performance for that generation. Here's a simply list:

x1xx = Integrated video in the motherboard and slowest performance (GeForce 6100 for example)
x2xx = Slowest video card you can buy.
x4xx = Budget card meant mostly for multimedia
x5xx = Value oriented gaming card
x6xx = Mainstream oriented video card
x800 = Performance / High Performance gaming card; depending on the exact name (the 8800 GTS is a good performance card, the 8800 GTS 512 is even better).

After the GeForce 9000 series, nVidia changed it's naming convention. The GeForce GTX 430 is basically the slowest GTX 400 series you can buy; it's more for multimedia than for gaming. Even though you bought a video card that is 3 generations newer they are difference performance levels. The GeForce 100 and 300 series were just re-branded older cards.

To put it in a different way, you are comparing a 1986 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car Edition to a 2009 Honda Civic in a drag race. I bet you can figure out which car is going to win.

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hmmm... given the way computer technology grows by leaps and bounds I just assumed that 3 years later, the entry level would be better than top end 3 years ago...

So, if I want a decent upgrade over the 8800 GTS, what am I looking at getting nowadays?

Thanks

Javaslinger

mute20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Nvidia has by far the worst low end. Amd safely has the edge here. The big reason why amd doesn't dominate cause most pci-e 1.x boards from oems cannot have amd cards in them cause their 2.1 cards.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

The all around best value/performance at this point in time would be. AMD - 6870, 6950 and on Nvidia's Camp - GTX 560Ti. Those are seriously the only cards I would recommend, anything higher than that, and you are not getting as much performance for your money, then again, that's always been the case with the super high end. Those cards mentioned would be able to handle the great majority of games out there right now at 1080p easily. :)

One more thing, if you do get a new gpu, make sure to get one that has a custom cooler, they run much more quiet and cooler than ref. coolers. An example would be the MSI twin frozr II for the gtx 560ti.

apexle

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I would be looking at at least anything with GTX *x60/x70/x80, (with x being 2/4/5).

I'm assuming you have a certain budget, look at the GTX 560 or 460. They can be had between $120-180 depending on sale/discounts.

I did the same thing as you, and I noticed only a small increase in performance as I upgraded my GTX 280 to a GTX 460. Apparently the 460 was only slightly better than a 280, but I got a really good deal on it and I had to give my GTX 280s to my brother.

I'd strongly recommend looking at the GTX 560 like the above poster said, its one of the best values out there and is only 3 away from the fastest Nvidia cards (GTX 590, GTX 580, GTX 570). Or go with Radeon for the 6870.

I managed to get 2 GTX MSI 460 1GB twin frozers which are overclocked for about $150 each. So for around $300 (about $200 less than a GTX 580) I was able to get the same performance as a GTX 580 at 1080p resolution, albeit little things like microstutter.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Lol, my friend did the same thing. He had a salesman from fry's quickly pickout components for him, he spent $2000 on a low-midrange build, and his cooler the salesman told him to get for his i5 cpu wouldnt even work with his case. He called me over and i had to cut his MB tray to get the backplate to fit.

80% of computer salesman are just faking confidence and dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. Tust me, If your gonna build yourself, then read up first, or at the least find a friend who knows what they are doing.

Dont get me wrong, everyone makes mistakes now and then, but i am actually a salesman, and i work around and on computers every day, and i can tell within a minute of talking if a salesman is B.S.ing me or genuinly dont know. And Ive seen a lot of salesman b.s. Themselves into sales without customers coming back and complaining. Really bothers me sometimes how gullable some people are.

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Yeah, unfortunately I ended up buying this from a little mom and pop computer store that's in our area. It's run by an Asian family and they use name brand parts and have good prices (except on video cards)...

Anyway, I'm going to try and upgrade to the 460, but I'm not sure how they'll go for it...

I just tried to play Witcher 2 (which ran fine on my Core2Duo with the 8800) and it runs like a dog with the damn 430... I looked it up and it's not even on the the supported cards list...

Thanks again