Sign in with
Your question

HP i5-2410M or i7-2630QM? Are there major differences? AND...

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2012 9:52:37 AM

Hey all! I wanted to know if someone knew the major differences between these two CPU's? If the i5 says 2.30Ghz and the i7 says 2.0 it seems that the i5 would be faster, yet there are *I could very well be wrong* 8 cores in the i7 while only 4 in the i5. So I assume they all may be working harder than the i7's 8 cores? So could we say that if all 8 cores were running at 2.3 the i7 would be 2 times as fast? The reason I am asking this question is I have recently bought from my school bookstore an Acer that has an i7 and already have an HP with the i5. In this situation. . . a perfect world would say I could take the intel i7 out and put it in where the i5 is and the i7 where the i5 was. ***I really hope that makes sense to someone*** But with all these different core's and all the pins that need to touch in the mother board. I wasnt sure what to do in this situation? Also its not a situation where I dont know the parts of a computer. I am just not familiar with the mechanics of the processor. **both are laptops and both have 4GB of DDR3 RAM. What would anyone out there do? i do have an email if anyone would like to email me its daxowens at g mail dot c om. thanks for the help!!
a c 203 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 9:56:31 AM

daxowens said:
. . . a perfect world would say I could take the intel i7 out and put it in where the i5 is and the i7 where the i5 was. ***I really hope that makes sense to someone***
Not so much. You've probably 'over-thinking' the situation.
In what way is the Core i5 laptop not meeting you're requirements?
a c 93 à CPUs
January 23, 2012 11:57:54 AM

In a perfect world, swapping a mobile i5 and i7 of the same socket generation around should work, but you haven't taken into account the thermal levels each laptop is rated to handle.

On a single core, the i5 can turbo to a higher speed than an i7 and can max out the cooling of the laptop, resulting in the chip throttling to prevent overheat, thus loosing performance.

Simple answer is you shouldn't with a laptop.
!