Msi twin frozr gtx 460 issues

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I've been noticing that my gtx 460 start to make a strange sound under load. It sounds like it might be the fans, possibly creating a mass disturbance of vibration in my case. When I hold the side of the card, it's reduced to a hardly audible hum. I've read that some of these cards have fan issues, and that they tend to break right off from making contact with the heatsink, however I haven't noticed this, whatsoever.

Is it possible that there are some loose connections, maybe with the fans, heatsink screws, etc? Does anyone know of these potential downfalls of the twin frozer II series cooling solutions?

It works fine for now, and I'm not particularly worried, but I don't want to have to deal with the potential of a dead card, and the RMA experience. This card was purchased via Newegg.

Solution
Those types of fans are not that great when it comes to quality. Some are better than others but the engineering is the same. The plastic ring that is supposed to hold the fans together is known to wear out over time vs a blower style fan. They can be easily fixed but takes some prior experience and skill but a good online guide can make up for that.
Those types of fans are not that great when it comes to quality. Some are better than others but the engineering is the same. The plastic ring that is supposed to hold the fans together is known to wear out over time vs a blower style fan. They can be easily fixed but takes some prior experience and skill but a good online guide can make up for that.

Solution

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for the info. I went with the twin frozr setup because of the cooling solution it came with, is gigabytes cooling solution that you see with the three fan blades known for crapping out unusually early?

Such as this model here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-125-350&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo

Was I mistaken to believe that MSI components are better than others?
(solid capacitors, heatsink, fans, etc)

apexle

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
If you want you can always remove the fan itself if its an issue and install your own silent fan (just get a nice one for like $10-20 online or at your local microcenter/Fry's) and drill in holes. Then just attach the power to your PSU and it should be able to cool your graphics card... however you won't be able to monitor the fan speed in the software.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

I always thought gigabyte was a reputable company? I hear good things about some of their other hardware, motherboards, particularly. Yeah I know palit is garbage, I bought one of their cards, and the HSF was terribad.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks, nforce, your information has been helpful. We'll see how things go with my card. Should it fail, I'll take your insight into heavy consideration. No need to spend $200 or more on a piece of hardware for it to malfunction.

I'm not a particular fan (no pun intended) of reference coolers., just from comments I see, and I don't like the styles in general. So I'll have to take some more time into considering my future purchases.