Upgrading my Graphics card

darkokelemen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hello,
I was wanting to upgrade my graphics card but I have been doing research and am finding out that I can't upgrade my comp to the card I need because of the age of my comp which is a gateway 700se. I was told that I can't upgrade to lets say Nvidia 8800 cause I don't have a PCI-E slot? Is there any way I can run a 8800 or equivalent in ATI or other make??

D

Deleted member 362816

If you dont have a pci-e slot your pretty much boned, Also with such a old computer there is not point due to bottlenecks, Save for a computer upgrade, you will be much happier with that.

darkokelemen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

could I get a motherboard with a pci-e slot??

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Sweet Jesus darkokelemen... I think you're doing good just to still have that thing operating. The last reviews I could find were from 2002 lol. And it uses Rambus RAM. 45ns Rambus RAM, but Rambus RAM nonetheless. It also came with a 1.8Ghz Pentium 4. That cpu could barely utilize a video card of the level you're wanting to get.

I can't even remember the last time I've actually seen an AGP card retail. You'd might have to look on ebay or something. But I strongly recommend following cia24's advice. I mean for just $300-$400 you can probably buy a computer retail that'll be a huge performance increase over your current computer. Even if it was a laptop.

To directly answer your question though, you might be able to technically run a video card somewhere around that level if you could find an AGP version still. However, it would be a complete waste of money in my opinion and I mean that with every fiber of my technical being.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

You could, but you'd have to upgrade the CPU and RAM. Nobody makes boards that support Rambus RAM any longer. You'd have to upgrade your PSU at that point and everything else. You really have used that computer until you had no other choice in my opinion.

darkokelemen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

What about upgrading the motherboard with a PCI-E slot and maybe a better processor??

I didn't look up your pc, but, if you have an AVG slot OR a regular PCI.... ( not pci-e ).......... slot, you should be able to get something for your machine.

go to newegg/graphics cards/desktop graphics/interface.

It is dated and suggestions of upgrading are probably your best route if you can afford the upgrades.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

You'd still need to upgrade to RAM that your motherboard and CPU can support and a stronger PSU. With a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and PSU, that's basically a new computer. swifty_morgan is right in that you can probably find something that your current computer can use, but the rest of your computer would be such a tremendous bottleneck that you might actually not notice any improvement.

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
This definitely looks like a case of it's time to consider a full PC upgrade. Depending on your use 300-400 in parts can build a MUCH better machine than you currently had that should once again last you 3-5 years of typical use or another 9 lol.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Getting a new computer isn't as scary as one would think. Yes, you have become a bit attached to that archaic technology, but a new mobo, cpu, ram, and psu would do you wonders. Your computer probably struggles to load flash heavy websites. What could you possibly use it for? Anyways, if you put those new parts in your dusty old machine, you could still keep using that hard drive with windows 2k if you want. It would be like nothing changed, your computer just got faster. Unless you can find a video card for $5.00, it isn't worth the money to upgrade. My suggestion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152265
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227320

The second one will perform noticeably better at games, but they're both going to under perform a better desktop with a 8800GT installed. Think of it this way, the desktop (second one) will at least have an expansion slot for a better video card.

darkokelemen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I will probably just go ahead and get a new comp, it's been long enough with this current computer. I bought a game called Cities XL 2011 and was looking for a graphics card that would run the game more than smoothly. But I noticed these new comp's for sale don't have the graphic cards I heard were good enough to run that particular game. GMA X4500 HD?? Is that graphic's card enough for cities 2011???

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

I'm not familiar with that game. That number you posted.... sounds like Intel ONBOARD video. Intels on board video sucks. You'll have to get something with discreet graphics or look for another vendor...... amd or nvidia if using onboard only graphics....... depending on the demands of that game...... or have someone custom build you a computer..... like a local shop..... look around, prices/hardware vary.

Stay away from the Intel GMA X4500 graphics core. It is not meant for games. Since I don't know what your budget is I'll just make some general recommendations.

If you have a $700 budget, then the following CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1314 is a pretty decent deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229266

+ It has a Core i5-2300 CPU which is part of Intel's current line up of CPUs. It is a quad core CPU as opposed to the single core CPU that you currently have now. Generally speaking it should be more than enough processing power than you need unless you play games. Most games only use two cores; it seems Cities XL only uses one core. Generally, the more cores you have the more fluid the operating system (Windows 7) will feel.

+ The Radeon HD 6670 is a mainstream video card that will be more than enough for Cities XL. It can handle more demanding games quite well like Crysis 2, and Metro 2033 if you do not set the graphics quality too high. If you are into more mainstream games like the Sims 3 then this video will be fine and should last you a long time.

+ 8GB of RAM will be more than enough for your needs. 4GB of RAM is generally the minimum recommendation.

+ This "Sandy Bridge" Core i5 CPU also has the Intel HD 2000 graphics core. It's a little better than their old GMA X4500 graphics core, but still not really meant for playing games. Not that it matters though since this PC comes with the HD 6670 graphics card.

========================================

The iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 567D3 is less expensive at $440 after a $40 rebate if you are on a budget. It is certainly more powerful than what you currently have, but not as powerful as the CyberpowerPC mentioned above.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227314&Tpk=iBUYPOWER%20Gamer%20Power%20567D3

+ It comes with an AMD Phenom II X4 925 which is a quad core CPU. It is certainly not as powerful as the Intel Core i5 CPU, but it is more than enough for your apparent needs.

+ The ATI Radeon HD 5570 is definitely less powerful than the HD 6670, but it is still more than enough for Cities XL. It's graphics power is roughly half of the HD 6670.

+ It comes with the minimum recommended 4GB of RAM.

+ This is certainly a bargain system compared to the CyberPowerPC so overall performance is lower to match the lower price point. But the good news is that it is more than enough for Cities XL.

=======================================

The CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2093 sells for $600 which is a somewhat decent computer for games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229280

+ It uses AMD's new Llano chip, the A8-3850 which is a combined CPU (4 cores) and graphics core on one chip. Similar to the Intel Core i5 CPU as mentioned above. However, instead of combining a powerful CPU and a weak graphics core, AMD's Llano processors combines a relatively weak CPU with a relatively powerful graphics core. The CPU core is not as powerful AMD Phenom II X4 925.

+ The Radeon HD 6550D graphics core is probably in line with the HD 5570 in the iBUYPOWER PC above. Maybe slightly faster.

+ It comes with 8GB of RAM which is more than enough for your needs.

+ Overall, this is not much of a deal considering what you are getting for $600. The cheaper iBUYPOWER has a better CPU and the Radeon HD 5570 is more or less on par with the Radeon HD 6550D that is integrated into the A8-3850 processor (AMD calls it an APU). You could just the iBUYPOWER PC for $440, use $160 to buy more RAM and a more powerful video card which turns that PC into a better deal this this Cyberpower PC. Of course you would need to install the RAM and video card yourself; not a difficult task.

=====================================

Based on the computers listed on NewEgg, there is not really much of a deal on a PC for less than $400. You would be seriously limiting yourself to PCs with much weaker CPUs and video cards. In the $500 - $600 range, NewEgg doesn't have much either in terms of a PC for playing games. You can buy a PC with a powerful CPU, but then you are lacking in video card area.

I have mentioned that a quad core CPU is generally more than enough for your apparent needs. So why did I only mention PCs with quad cores? Well, all the dual core PCs lacked a decent graphics card for casual gaming. You can certainly purchase your own video card and install it yourself, but I'm trying to make this a easy as possible.

To sum up, if you have $700, then buy the CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1314. It should last you a long time based on your current usage and will be "future proof" for upcoming causal games. Although, "future proof" is a bit of an oxymoron when you are talking about technology. If you don't have $700, and $440 (after rebate) sounds more sensible to you, then iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 567D3 is the way to go. You are not really going to notice the difference in processing power based on your simple usage, the video card should be good enough for your needs unless you start playing more complex games. Besides, you can always buy and install a video card yourself if you find that the Radeon HD 5570 is starting to get too slow for your needs. Just post a question in this forum before doing so. I've seen quite a few times where someone thought they purchased an upgraded video card, when in fact it was actually a downgrade in performance.

So where does that leave the CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2093 with the A8-3850 APU for $600? Don't even bother with it. You are basically paying a premium price for overall lower performance. The real value of the Llano APUs are with value oriented laptops for games, not in a desktop.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Like swifty_morgan and jaguarskx said, it is an Intel ONBOARD graphics chip and it does suck. All of them suck. I think Nvidia's onboard gaphics chips suck horribly as well too.

jaguarskx seems to have put in a little bit of work into what seems like good advice to me, but you could also take into consideration joshyboy82's advice to check out AMD's new APU chips which could be all you need. You could also just wait a month until Bulldozer releases and see if it's worth pursuing but I'm not sure that you can or willing to since you just got Cities XL to play. If it's not worth pursuing at release, then maybe prices of current tech will just have decreased by some margin by then.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Buy a completely new system. Upgrading it now would probably cost as much as buying a new system now anyway. Bulldozer is coming out next month so prices may go down. Honestly, if you want really nice graphics on all games with a budget of around $300 you could always just buy a PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. They deliver superb graphics for the price. With the ps3 you can surf the web, watch movies, play graphics intense games, and so much more. When I go on my ps3 to surf the web (once in a while) I plug in my keyboard and its just like a computer on a 52 inch LCD :D
Best of luck.

Hi , it would be much better for you to upgrade the whole computer. You actually could get a decent gaming rig upgrade for about $1000.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Sata 6 gb U SB 3.0 249.99
Intel Core i3 -2120 Sandy bridge 2.8 ghz 139.99
Corsair Domiator 8 gb DDR3 2000 pC3 16000 2X4GB 139.99
OCZ Vertex 2 180 gb SSD 251.99
eVGA gtx 560 Ti iGB 256 bit GDDR5 FTW 219.99
1001.95 TOTAL

Just an example.

D

Deleted member 362816

A decent gaming rig can be 300$ if all you do is play facebook games, I have a 2000+ watercooled monster and i play diablo 2 lod 95% of the time and that will run on windows 95 lol.

D

Deleted member 362816

An SSD is totally not a need for a gaming computer, I load just as fast in games, Windows may boot faster but it is a waste of money, Cut out the ssd and go with a 2500k, Also that mother board is 100% not needed for a gaming computer unless you want to do some massive overclocks, Lol.........

I didn't do any reaserch into those components I just listed them to show what you could get with a budget of $1000. Some people prefer a SSD over a traditional HDD. Then again some people like to future-proof thier computer as much as possible.