jonisaurus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm running an old Enermax 460W PSU, "EG465AX-VE(G)(24p)", and I want to get an XFX HD 6870 Dual fan.

The PSU has 460W, a 12V rail of 33A and a 3.3V+5V combined power of 200W (combined power not including the 12V rail).

I know the PSU is an old one, but it's a quality one from Enermax.ight
The problem is that the GPU needs 2x 6pin connectors. The PSU has 1x.
Seeing how this PSU should be powerful enough to handle the 6870, can I use a 2x 4pin to 1x 6pin adaptor together with the normal 6pin connector to power the card?

I know in the mid-long term I will have to upgrade my PSU, but I don't want to right now, because I think this one is still powerful enough to power the card and because I cannot afford one right now. So this setup isn't meant to last forever, but say a few months.

Thanks for your help!

Hello jonisaurus;
Yes you can. Many graphics cards will have one of those molex (4pin) to PCI-e (6pin) adapters in the accessory pack. Just double check the model you're considering has one (or more).

And you're probably OK with the Enermax 460W PSU.
Overclocking your CPU? Anything of an unusual nature in your system also pulling power from the PSU?

jonisaurus

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I will get the XFX 6870, which, traditionally, does not have an adaptor. I will buy one seperately.

I have a standard clocked Intel Core i5 750 which I will not overclock nor upgrade will this PSU :)

TRENDING THREADS